Twenty-six - For me

Start from the beginning

"Fuck me, I don't know. But I'm so done with it. I can't even sleep anymore! Look at the size of this belly!"

"It's the most beautiful fat thing I've ever seen," Ston said, caressing his woman's belly.

"Shut up." She slapped his hands away. "And don't touch me there. I cannot stand it!"

"Well, I would not want to leave this warm nest either if I was him... And he's strong too," Ston looked at me. "He's kicking her so hard, she's crying out." The man seemed to be proud instead of pitiful.

Betsy glared at him. "You're such a dumbass sometimes." She then looked at me and grabbed my hands, putting them on her round bump. "You're the commander. Now, command this brat to come out."

"What?" I asked. "How would that help?'

"Do it," Betsy pressed. "Maybe the little bastard will listen to you!"

I didn't have time for this crap, but she seemed desperate.

"O-kay..." I said, hearing Ston chuckle in the background. I gently patted her belly. "Leave this womb, you little one."

Betsy scoffed. "Put some power in it, orc! How is this a command!"

She made me shout at her belly for a minute straight, which was possibly the weirdest thing I've ever done.

As a thank you, she told me to pick some flowers on my way. She smiled and said women liked flowers.

I didn't understand how Betsy knew. I had told no one where I was going.

~

Gyda stood where I asked her to stand. She was no dream, no figment of my imagination, like she had been so often these past two weeks. She was real, waiting for me at the border of her land and the blood passage.

Her hair was decorated with small white flowers. A few strands of shorter hair fell down her face while the rest was tied into two small knots.

I realized she had made herself beautiful for me. For me. For no one else.

"I have to say I was a little shocked when I heard where you wanted to meet me," she said as I guided her through the pass.

"Because this place scares you?" I asked, knowing that the blood passage was seen as dangerous by humans. It was a narrow, shadowy pass, not gaining much sunlight because of the high mountain walls, but it was not dangerous. It was just darker and thus also colder than the Trimar pass. There weren't any flowers to pick either, so I supposed I had to take Betsy's advice another day.

"I'm not afraid now that you are with me," she replied. "To be honest, I think you're probably scarier than any wild animal. I-I mean, you can be scary if you want to be... You're not scary to me..." She looked up at me, sucking on her bottom lip as she smiled.

I could hardly control myself. Bloody hell.

I growled. "You're right about that," I replied while helping her as she scrambled up a mound of rocks.

"Where are we going?"

"A spot I sometimes go to if I want to get away from everything."

"You mean a place you visit if you want to be alone?" she asked.

"Hm. I think you'll like it. It's a magical place."

"I want a place like that." Gyda sighed. "But I suppose I'm lucky to have my own room in a house with sixteen other people. Everybody else, except for Mother, has to share a room with their sisters, or kids."

"What did you tell them you were doing today?" I asked.

"They think I'm in the library, studying the council." She pointed at the bag I carried for her. "There is actually a book in there. I have to read a bit of it, just in case my mother will ask me about it..."