Twenty-five - The library

Start from the beginning

"I didn't visit you to meet him, if that's what you are thinking. I came here for you!" I replied, rather defensively, and panicking slightly. I didn't want her to think I'd used our friendship and her home just to meet him. "I swear I didn't know he would come."

"Hey, easy, easy," Amira replied. "I believe you. To be honest, he looked pretty surprised as well."

"Well, he must have been."

"So...what now? What will you do? Do you want to see him again?" she asked, then bit on the inside of her cheek.

I looked down at my hands and fumbled with my fingers. "I do... but I cannot go to him as the mountains are way too far to walk in such a short time. And he can't come to visit me at home either."

"He could come by on the Saturdays you visit me?" Amira suggested. "My house is closer to their borders."

I desperately wanted to say yes, but I couldn't. While shaking my head, I answered, "No, I said I wanted to visit you, and I meant that."

Amira smiled, seemingly satisfied with my answer. "Why didn't you tell me?" she then asked.

"I don't know... I don't even know what I'm thinking. Everything is so screwed up. I feel like there is no good outcome in this whole situation. But I also know I feel happy around him. And I want to see him and hear his voice... and feel his touch." I sighed, feeling my heart race again.

"Hmm. Well...maybe you can see him again."

"You think so?" I asked.

"Yes. You just have to be smart, make a plan," Amira replied. She tapped her index finger against her lips. "You should find an excuse to get out of the house. A reason to leave. Do something your mother doesn't mind you doing. Something that maybe even delights her."

"Like what? Mother never lets me do anything." I sighed. "I used to be allowed to go to the library, though. My mother would even let me spend entire days over there, thinking I was educating myself with "proper" things. Then, when she found out I was reading about orcs and other—in her eyes—improper stories, she was furious, and I wasn't allowed to go there anymore. I miss it."

"Well, hello. That's perfect! Convince her you'd like to visit the library to study something that'll make her proud."

"Huh?"

"Something she finds valuable. Like...uhm... Oh!" Amira snapped her fingers. "How about the precious council? Yes! You can tell her you have a sudden desire to learn all about the council and its members!"

Amira smiled quite viciously, making me giggle. "I suppose she would want me to educate myself on that. But please, don't look at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Smiling so evilly." I chuckled, causing Amira to laugh out loud.

"Do it," she then said while grabbing my hand. "You will be just like Silvereyes and her noble knight of the south, son of the enemy, sir Yuka."

"Silvereyes and Yuka both died a horrible death," I answered before biting my lip. "She and her child were burned and he was hacked into twenty pieces and fed to vultures. And he wasn't even an orc."

In fact, they were killed by orcs, according to the stories. I didn't believe that, though.

"Well, obviously, you shouldn't get caught!" Amira answered, shaking my shoulder with her hand. "And Orvar is not Yuka. He is much stronger. He can protect you."