Chapter 1: Arrival

Misako held Lloyds arm as she brought him through the front gates of Darkleys. Around them, children in black vests with skulls on them stopped their courtyard play to stare at him.

The courtyard had yellowish grass and the only toys in the yard were a deck of cards some kids were playing with in the corner and a yellow kickball some kids were playing four square with.

The children in the yard were all around Lloyds age, most of them being older, and all were huddled into little groups. The kids looked malnourished and some looked utterly dangerous  at such a young age. It looks could kill then those glares the students were sending him would be murdering ones.

The young blonde huddled closer to his mother as they walked and tried not to look at the the other students. Meanwhile, Misako didn't want to even look at the atmosphere she was bringing her son into.

————————————
The night before, the blonde heard his mother weeping in her room. He watched from the crack in her door as she spoke on the phone with someone.

"I can't do this, Wu. I have to let him go."
She shuddered. A male voice spoke on the other side of the phone. "He can't come stay with you, knowing you, you'd probably turn him into a ninja or something! He needs to be safe and this place will do that." Misako cried with venom in her words. The male voice on the other side of the phone said something else before hanging up.

"Mama? Who was that?" Lloyd chirped in.

Misako froze. It was as if her body had been turned to stone right then and there. Sniffles came from her nose and mouth and she slammed the phone on its receiver. She stayed turning her back to her son as she spoke.
"No one important but, I need you to pack your bags." Misako whispered, as if she talked too loud the gods would come rip her from earth themselves.

"Why? Are we going on a trip!" The blonde asked with excitement in his words. Lloyd was too young to notice his mother's sad behavior at the time so he had no idea what was coming.

"You are sweetie, but I can't come with you. You'll have a lot of fun though. I promise." Misako whispered, her back still facing her son.
"But I don't wanna go without you mama!" Lloyd whined. The blonde had his mother by his side since his birth and he wasn't ready to let her go yet. 

"I'm sorry sweetie but you have too, can you be brave for mommy?" Misako asked. Although her words seemed kind and caring, her tone was dull and distracted.

"Promise you'll come back and get me?" Lloyd sniffled a little. "Promise." Misako said with her back still turned. Lloyd kept the promise replaying in his head before retreating back into his room to pack.

———————————-

Lloyd heard two of the boys whispering from afar. "A new recruit?" A ginger boy asked his companion. The dark haired boy next to him nodded. "That kid has no idea what he's in for." He snickered and the two students went back to whatever they were doing.

Chills ran up and down Lloyd's back as the front doors of the academy were opened. His mother continued walking until they reached a door with a sign reading 'office' above it. Misako opened the door to reveal the receptionist with a cigarette hanging from her lips as she scrolled through a magazine. Without anyone saying anything or the receptionist even looking up from her magazine, she pointed in the direction of a door on the other side of the room.