Day 4

I stared at the ceiling of my room, waiting.

I ached for that familiar sound of the stones again my window. I needed to hear it.

But as the hours went by it was obvious. He wasn't coming.

Angry and hurt, I didn't have enough energy to even get out of bed for food. I couldn't get myself to just get up.

What had I done wrong? I couldn't help asking myself these questions. Why was it that when I finally found someone who seemed to not hate my guts, he had to give up on me too?

Wasn't I enough for him? Had I really seemed like a lost cause?

I wasted a whole day drowning myself into these questions and as soon as the sun began to go down, I looked out of my window at the sunset in the distance.

It reminded me of him, just looking at the things that made life good and beautiful.

But he had missed a day. He had broken our deal.

The seriousness on his face four days ago told me otherwise though. He wouldn't do that to me. Something was up.

But I didn't have his number, I couldn't contact him, so I went to sleep early that night, hoping that at least sleep could take me away from all my questions and facing reality.

-

clank. clank. clank...clank

I stood up in bed and looked at the clock.

11:57pm

Was someone trying to break in?

I stood in absolute silence as I heard someone climb up the side of my house. Should I scream?

Before I knew it, I heard a soft tap against my window.

I could see the blond hair through my translucent curtains. I quickly grabbed a piece of chewing gum off of my dressing table and opened the window softly.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, watching as he brushed leaves and dirt off of his clothes.

"Did you really think I'd miss a day Allison White?" He asked me, his electrifying blue eyes shining down on me.

"I thought you gave up on me." I told him truthfully, looking down at the floor.

"Why would you think that?"

"Everyone else has." I swallowed, meeting his gaze.

He pulled me over to my bed and sat down.

"Why would I give up on someone I can't go a day without thinking about?" He asked me.

I could barely move as I tried to let that sink in.

"I don't know." I answered.

"Exactly."

"What are you doing here?" I asked. It wasn't as if there was much we could do.

"I spent all day trying to think of something- anything- for reason number four, but I just couldn't. I was planning to come around in the morning but I realised that I had nothing good to show you."

"So you came now?"

"Yes. I couldn't miss a day."

"So what are you going to do?" I asked curiously.

"Come here."

He took hold of my wrist and sat down opposite me on the window sill.

The moonlight shone onto Luke's face, giving him an eery look but also making his eyes glisten in a mysterious way.