Chapter Thirty-Three

The chair was cold as I sat down. Yesterday had been a respite from the chaos of my life. Hercule, Gabriel, and Alexandre had taken my place at the courthouse so I could take a step back. Who knew a trial surrounding your former foster parents would make all the feelings return? Not to mention the nightmares that had plagued me all last night. 

A hand touched my leg gently and my eyes snapped to it before switching to the face that the hand belonged to. Remy gave me a look that bordered between worried and distraught. I knew he wanted to say something, it was written all over his face. It was a relief though when his mouth stayed shut. 

My anticipation of the trial began to get to my head and my breathing quickened. The room seemed to grow smaller and smaller as each new person entered it and took their seats. There weren't this many people there the first day, were there? Why did people care so much about the trial? Was it all because of my brothers? Were they the cause of all of the people who had shown up? My fingers began to tap my clothed legs in an irregular pattern.

After a cursory glance at the clock, I realized I still had time to kill before the trial resumed. I stood up and straightened my thin cardigan before walking away from Remy and into the reception area of the courthouse. Footsteps immediately followed behind me and I didn't need to look to know that Remy was my shadow. My fingers continued to tap, though now it was against my inner elbows. People didn't need to see my worried and frantic state. They didn't need to know how I was about to explode from the stress of this. 

The door to the women's restroom was now in my sight and it took all of my effort not to sprint towards it. My steps seemed too slow, almost like they were in molasses. 

***

I was about to push the door to the bathroom open when a hand on my arm stopped me. Turning slowly, I looked up and sighed in relief. I thought somebody wanted to ask me a question but alas, it was only Remy. "I'll be waiting out here for you when you're done. Take all the time you need, as long as it's within the ten remaining minutes before the trial." He winked and sent me a knowing smile before turning into a statue. How did they always manage to do that? I don't think I would ever be able to become a living statue at a moment's notice.

With a shake of my head, I turned and entered the bathroom. A single person stood in front of the sinks. They didn't move their attention away from the mirror as they applied hot pink lipstick. They smacked their lips together and fluffed their hair before turning to me; their tight dress showing as much skin as it covered.

"It's rude to stare." Mrs. Hark threw her lipstick into her small purse before slinging it over her shoulder and facing me. 

I narrowed my eyes at her and she grinned that despicable grin. Her hips swayed as she sauntered towards the door. She stopped next to me and pushed my curls over my shoulder with a motherly touch. "I hope you won't forget what I told you before; don't disappoint me now." I shuddered as her hot breath hit my ear. Mrs. Hark gave me one last cloying grin before striding out of the bathroom. 

My body was rooted to the spot as I tried to calm my nerves. Something about her - besides her threats - put me on edge. There was something not quite right about her, almost like a piece of meat that wasn't spoiled to the eyes but to the stomach. Or maybe she was a cobra waiting to sink its fangs into its prey? Whatever she was, it wasn't good.

When I felt like I could finally move again, I took fast strides back to the door and turned the lock. Once the lock clicked, I stalked to the sinks and leaned towards my face, my hands planted on the counter. I looked worse for the wear but I guess that's what happens when you only had nightmares for two days in a row. My fingers tapped against the faux granite and I finally broke down.