A Hidden Promise

Part 1: Silver Clouds

Ethereal Moon

The Cause of Sorrow

After everything, Claude and Eliza were stronger than ever, The Golden Deer were ecstatic to have their classmate rejoin them. The Blue Lions understood and by then, Freya's rage was quelled. The now fixed compass was around her neck as Eliza was standing beside Claude when the professor approached them.

"Considering this recent rash of strange incidents, I wonder if having a ball is really the best idea... And then there's the White Heron Cup. Sheesh. What poor sap are you enlisting to represent our house, Teach?" Claude smirked.

"Please tell me you chose Claude," Eliza said with a devious grin, "I'd love to see him talk his way out of this."

Claude glanced at the blonde, "I think Teach is actually here for you."

Eliza's face paled at the thought, "Professor, I highly advise you to choose one of our other classmates. I dance like I have two left feet."

"Nonsense," Claude waved her worries away, "You have quite the charmer. You'd be a shoo in."

"Maybe speak with Marianne," Eliza suggested, "While she is gloomy at times, she has such grace that would be beneficial to the Golden Deer, "Or Flayn would be a good choice. I heard she really wants to be considered for this role."

"You're a smart one, Teach," Claude smiled, "I think Hilda or Lorenz would be able to win it for us, no problem."

"Lorenz?" Eliza wrinkled her nose, "You think Lorenz would win?"

"Why not?"

"I just don't see it," Eliza looked away.

As it turned out, Flynn was indeed selected to represent the Golden Der. It was tough competition as Annette and Dorothea were her rivals. They listened to the judging and celebrated as Flayn won. Eliza congratulated her along with the rest of the class.

The ball was fast approaching and many students expressed excitement. The Golden Deer had gathered in the classroom the day before the ball.

"The time has come for the annual ball. But first, an eve of a merriment! Ok, I'll admit it. The officer's academy isn't as uptight as I thought," the house leader said.

"Ooh," Hilda squealed, "I adore such things! Dancing is the only thing I'm really good at anyway."

"There's a feast tomorrow," Raphael exclaimed, "Isn't there? Isn't there?! Ah, I can't want a moment longer!"

"Dancing, singing..." Leonie was filled with dread, "I'm not good at either of those things."

"Cheer up, Leonie," Eliza patted the orange haired girl's shoulder, "It'll all turn out okay. I'll stick by your side if you want. I'm not much of a dancer either."

"So?" Hilda glanced at them, "Dancing is fun! Oh! And remember, you can't dance with the same partner multiple times. It's tradition! That's means you have to dance with all the gentlemen in all the houses, swapping dance partners as you please."

Eliza swallowed nervously at the thought of having to entertain numerous dance partners. It was sure to be an epic fail.

"How scandalous," Lysithea crossed her arms, "I, for one, plan to simply behold the pure essence of dance."

"I'll, um..." Marianne said quietly, "Watch. From a distance."

"You can't just watch, Marriane!" Hilda protested, "If a boy asks you to dance, you simply must accept. It's only polite."