The Price of Forgiveness

Bắt đầu từ đầu

    She took a sharp breath, "I apologize if I were rambling."

    "You should speak with him," Byleth advised, "Perhaps some time alone to speak with him might be beneficial for both of you."

    "Only time will tell," Eliza replied, "Thank you for the tea, professor. I would love the opportunity to partake in this with you again."

    She left tea time with Byleth and saw Freya off in the distance, "Freya!"

    The Larkern heir stopped walking and turned around. She greeted her new classmate with a smile, "Eliza, is everything alright?"

    "It is," Eliza smiled, "I just wanted to thank you again for being so welcoming."

    "Of course," the brunette replied, "That is what the Blue Lions is all about. Dimitri seems happy to have you as part of the class."

    "He really does," Eliza laughed lightly.

    They parted ways and Eliza decided to go out to her special place in the mountains. She gained clearance from Byleth to clear her head. She took a pegasus and flew to Alliance territory.

    The mountainside was just as beautiful as ever. While winter was fast approaching, that did not take away the enchanting aura this land gave off. She lay down on the ground and admired the clear sunsetting sky.

    "Mother, father..." Eliza murmured, "If you were here, what would you tell me to do?"

    Her parents were in Almyra handling familial affairs on her mother's side. Eliza would have gone with them, but her parents wanted her to continue learning at the Officers Academy. If her father knew what Claude had done, he would surely draw his blade against the teenager despite the consequences. While he was older, he was still a strong warrior in his own right. Still, the idea of Claude getting what was coming to him was enticing.

Deciding to go train to get her mind off things, Eliza returned to the monastery. She picked up a sword and swung it through the air with ease. Her blue eyes sharp and focused on the movement of the blade. She got in position and imagined herself in the mountains with her father instructing her to hold a stick. It was a delicate dance of warriors.

"Eliza," Claude's voice ruined her concentration.

Eliza turned and swung at Claude unintentionally. The noble jumped back with his arms raised in surrender. The blonde's blue eyes widened as she sheathed the sword, "I apologize, Claude. I did not see you there."

"Eliza," Claude pleaded, "Please come back to the Golden Deer."

Eliza frowned, "Why should I do that?"

"Everyone misses you," Claude tried to plead, "I miss you."

Eliza gave him a dirty look, "You miss me? I thought you said you did not need me."

Claude had a guilty look on his face as he looked down at the ground, "I was wrong. I just wanted to protect you and keep you away from danger."

"You have a funny way of expressing that," Eliza said in a distant tone.

Claude mustered the courage to hold her hand. Eliza's blue eyes widened as she muttered, "Claude, I am no stranger to danger and battle. My father was a beloved knight of the Alliance and my mother a warrior in her own right. I don't need you to worry about me."

"I always am going to worry about you," Claude frowned, "I won't ever stop. I'm going to do something that I've never done before."

The young Marvine was stunned to see Claude go down on his knees. His green eyes filled with fear as he looked up at Eliza. His arms wrapped around her waist as he rested his head on her stomach.

"C-C-Claude?!" Eliza did not know how to react.

"Eliza..." Claude's voice was low, completely different than his usual bravado, "I don't know how else to say I'm sorry. Please forgive me and come back to the Golden Deer. Come back to me. I don't want to be here without you by my side. I promise I won't push you away ever again. You'll be my partner in crime until the end and even after that."

Claude's green eyes flashed with concern when he felt something land on his face. Tears. Eliza's blue eyes were wet with emotion as she dropped down to her knees in front of him. She made eye contact with the Alliance Heir and rested her forehead on his, "It's you and me forever, Khalid."

Claude's eyes did not waver from her gaze as she held his hand, "So you forgive me?"

"I did a long time ago," Eliza closed her eyes and caressed his cheek, "Just don't forget who I am, Claude. I can hold my own."

She grinned, "Besides, I'm sure that the rest of the Golden Deer already chewed you out."

Claude had the faintest of smiles, "They did... Even Teach was disappointed in me. That in itself is scary."

Eliza chuckled at his words and brought him to his feet, "I do have one task for you to complete for me then for me to fully forgive you."

"Just name it," Claude said.

Eliza pulled out the broken compass and Claude's eyes flashed with hurt for a second. She sighed, "Do you know anyone who is handy? I didn't mean to break it, but after what happened, I couldn't help myself. I feel really bad considering you bought it for me."

Claude took the compass and ruffled her hair, "Don't even worry about it."

He held the broken compass in hand, "I'll have this fixed by dinner tonight."

He kissed her cheek and Eliza turned red. Claude held her close to him and the young Marvine felt at peace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

◌~~~~◌~~~~☼~~~~◌~~~~◌