CHAPTER FIVE

~*~

     The three had been driving for a while, not talking much as they were just taking in the ability to drive and not have to look back behind them. Ivy would make sure they got to and from their destination safely, and get back to meet Viktor with the briefcase by the time the meeting was over. 

     "This actually isn't so terrible," Five said, nodding slightly. 

     "See? Told you," Klaus said with a smile. 

     "Come to think of it, my whole life I've been under the gun," Five stated. "Missions for Dad, working for the Commission, trying to survive the apocalypse. I was always looking around every corner, just waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's nice to just breathe." 

     "Good for you, man. Retirement is suiting you," Klaus said, nodding at him. 

     "Oh! Uh... All right! So, I've circled all the roadside attractions along the way," Five said, pulling out a map with a few circles on it. 

     "I'm not sure we're gonna have time-" 

     "We have the Brownsville Big Nickel. Oh, Ricky's Bakery has award-winning pies," Five said, smiling as he started to circle it. 

     "If you just let me explain for like two seconds-" 

     "Or there's this Cow Henge. That's it -- don't..." Five looked over at Klaus. 

     "Listen to me. Just shut up for two seconds, okay?" he said quickly. "Just two seconds? All right?" 

     "Okay, I'm all ears," Five said, holding his hands up in surrender. 

     "We are going to Pennsylvania to find my birth mother," Klaus said. "Yay!" 

     "Excuse me?" Five asked. 

     "Plot twist," Ivy said from the back, the two glancing at her having not spoken the whole ride. She shut her book, sitting up and leaning forward. 

     "I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry," Klaus apologized immediately. "I just needed somebody to come with me for emotional support." 

     "Oh, emotional support, like a Schnauzer?" Five asked sarcastically. 

     "I knew you wouldn't come if I told you, so what was I supposed to do?" Klaus asked. 

     "You're goddamn right I wouldn't have come, Klaus!" Five yelled at him. "You know why? Because I am supposed to be retired!" 

     "I know!" Klaus said. 

     "This was supposed to be a carefree road trip," Five spat at him. 

     "Well, it still can be, babe," Klaus smiled. 

     "Ball of Twine? Klaus, turn!" Five yelled, grabbing the wheel. "Ball of Twine! Turn!" 

     "What? Five!" Klaus yelled, the care swerving. "Five!" 

     "It is one of the best ones!" Five shouted, Ivy gripping onto a seat to not fall. "Come on!" 

     "Five, we're gonna die!" Klaus screamed, the car swerving in the middle of the road still. 

     "I don't care! Let go!" Five said, the car turning left. "You know what? No twine, no birth mother!" They turned into the lane, Klaus groaning as Five let go of the wheel. He started to drive straight again, glaring over at Five who was sitting back proudly. 

     "I feel like I was just in a Fast and Furious movie," Ivy said, leaning from them after falling in the backseat. "So, I'm sensing some tension."