CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

It's been about a month and a half since Akio died, and classes have returned to normal. Everyone seems to have recovered nicely, but the aura of the classrooms haven't been the same since. I still haven't gotten over Akio's death, having frequent nightmares about the day he died. It just keeps replaying the fight, and I keep trying to tell Akio to get out, but he doesn't listen. I watch him die over and over again, but nothing replicates the pain of losing him in that moment; that feeling of half of your heart shriveling up and dying. I visit his grave every day, but nothing helps the nightmares or this feeling of guilt brewing in my stomach. Somehow, I think it's my fault that he died; telling myself that I could have done something and we both would have survived. The bell rings for lunch, so I gather up my things and head up to the roof like I always do. I sit down and take out my lunch. I open it but don't take a bite; like always. My mind wanders back to my memories of Akio, replaying every moment of my life with him until he dies, like always. The wind picks up, blowing my hair into my face, a familiar feeling warming the air, but it's not possible so I ignore it. I sit there on my knees, stock-still. A familiar pattern of footsteps echoes in my head, my eyes swimming with tears. No, it can't be... I held him in my arms as he took his last breath. I feel a tap on my shoulder, and the feeling of his presence in my mind returns. My eyes widen and I cover my mouth with my hand, tears falling down my face. I feel another tap on my shoulder, and warmth fills me once again. For the first time in a month and a half, my ears rise, my wings are held high, and my tail is raised. I turn around slowly, scared that it's not real. I look at the ground and slowly raise my eyes, taking in every inch of him. Please be real, please. Finally, I look at his face and gasp. More tears fall from my eyes as I launch up, embracing him as tightly as I possibly can, wrapping my wings around him. His laughter fills my ears, and I smile. For the first time in a month and a half, I truly smile. I release him from my grasp, even more tears falling as I meet his eyes. Something's off, but I can't place it. He opens his eyes, and I immediately understand what's going on. His eyes are still dead, having the glazed-over look they get when you die. The smile immediately falls from my face, but his doesn't. I can feel the warmth inside of me fading with every passing second, the darkness slowly seeping in once more, but something's different about it; It's not as intense as before.
          "Hajime, I'm sorry." Tears fall from my face, but I smile wider than I ever have before. "I'm sorry for dying, but it was the only way for you to live." My smile fades, but its intensity never wavers.
          "Do you remember your last words to me, Akio?" His eyes widen, but his smile only becomes brighter.
          "I love you, Hajime." I smile, not daring to blink for fear he will disappear before my very eyes.
          "I love you too, Akio. I love you so, so much." I put my hand on his head and slide it slowly down the side of his face, cupping his cheek in my hand. I lean forward and brush my lips against his, asking for permission. He closes his eyes, that being enough permission for me. I lean forward once more and kiss him deeply and truly. He wraps his arms around me, and I pull away.
          "I love you so much, Akio." He smiles and hugs me tight. He whispers four words onto my neck before he disappears.
          "I love you too, Hajime." His body starts to fade, and I look him in the eyes one last time. Before he completely disappears, I could have sworn I saw his deep brown eyes flicker between the dead ones. When he is almost gone, I smile as wide as I possibly can, my ears raised, wings flared, and my tail swishing slightly. A few words echo in my head before he disappears completely. Nice colors by the way! It suits you! I laugh, loud and true as he disappears completely. He's right! The purple never left my wings or hair after I used my power. Interesting. The darkness has returned, along with the feeling of pain, but it's not nearly as bad as before. Even though I know he's gone, I can still feel his presence in my mind, still smell his scent in the air around me. I love you so much, Akio. I smile and walk back to class.