Chapter Seven

RUBY RED CHAPTER SEVEN

The sudden gust of wind made Ruby's cape billow behind her, trailing behind her like a silk red ribbon. She pulled her red hood over her head and looked up where the forest connected with the clearing in which her grandmother lived in. Where she was safe. 

Ruby wanted to stay there forever, hidden away from those dark wolves that wanted her as there Queen. She had heard the stories, and her knees trembled as she finally realized she would have to fight Ra and his Demon Wolves. And win. 

Her grandmother had called her brave, but now, standing in the clearing where the thought of war breaking amongst the world and she leading it, she felt scared. Scared and alone. 

She looked up towards the forest, where she could see red eyes watching her carefully. Her grandmother had ordered the elfish army to leave, but the wolves didn't dare come in the clearing. 

She took a deep, shaky breath and stormed upwards, towards the clearing, ignoring the chills rocking her body and the fear swelling up her heart. She could hear her own heart pound, and blood rush through her ears and her breath come out in shaky deep sighs. 

As she neared the edge of the forest, she took a long glance back at the ivy covered cottage. At least  my grandmother is safe, she thought. 

She turned back to the forest and heard the first tendril of a growl reach her. She shivered involuntary. 

"You were supposed to stay with me," a growl echoed. She instantly recognized the possessiveness as Ra. 

"I'm sorry, one of them ambushed me, I was unable to move," Ruby retorted. Ra let out another low growl. It was the first time Ruby talked back to him. And it felt good. 

"You should have never strayed from me in the first place!" Ra shouted and Ruby could see the fire blazing in his cold red eyes. She stared coldly back at him, but didn't say anything. 

"Ra, we should head home-" a voice said and Ruby saw the unmistakable white wolf step from the crowd, his kind blue eyes glancing between her and Ra. 

Ra stared icily at Ruby before turning towards Lucas. Lucas was intimidating, but beside Ra, he looked like a lost puppy. Ra towered over Lucas, his lips rolled back to reveal yellow fangs. Lucas avoided eye contact and stared at the ground.

"We are going now. My Queen-" Ra said, turning towards Ruby, "you shall ride with me, now. I'm not making that mistake again. You could have gotten killed."

Ruby shot him a cold hard glare, before reluctantly climbing onto the black wolf. She could see him smirk at Lucas, before he began to charge ahead, bounding over boulders and logs as if they were nothing. Ruby grabbed two handfuls of the silky black fur and held on for life. 

They finally arrived at their camp and Ra brought her up to the small square hut. She slid of his back, avoiding eye contact. Ra transformed back into a man, standing shirtless in front of her. A lazy half smirk was plastered on his face. Ruby wished she could slap that annoying smirk of his face. 

"Inside," he ordered and Ruby slipped inside the hut, aware that they were now alone. 

"My Queen, you could have gotten injured. Do you know how troublesome that would have been? I would have not been able to do this, for example," Ra said and caressed her cheek gently. 

Ruby flinched under his touch, but said nothing to him. His face was inches from hers and his eyes hungrily flickered down to her luscious pink lips. She could feel his hot breath against her face and she shivered.