Death set her free

Start from the beginning

Some tapping on the window made them break apart. Consumed by their lust, they decided to ignore it and resumed their frantic kissing as one of his hands sneaked inside her corset and he began kneading her sensitive flesh. But the tapping did not stop. "Bertie, it's me! Winnie! I've got you a pie!" They looked in the direction of the window where Mrs. Mooney was trying to peep through to catch a glimpse of her love. Thankfully the curtains were drawn.

"Bloody hell!" Nellie cursed and Sweeney grunted in response. She stood up and knelt beside Albert. She fished in his wet underwear for the key that opened the door to connected both flats from the inside and handed it to Sweeney. "Go upstairs. I'll deal with her."

He grabbed the bottle of the poisoned rum and ascended the stairs. Once in his flat, he took a look around and after confirming Lucy was asleep and Johanna was quietly playing with her dolly, he disposed of the poison and before grabbing the right bottle of rum and pouring himself a tumbler. It had to look like Albert had drunk some. Later, he'd go and make the butcher touch the regular bottle, so it had his fingerprints. Criminalistic and forensic sciences were advancing in leaps and bounds and he didn't want to risk it, even though he knew the widow would not request an investigation. He was supposed to wake Lucy up, to grab Johanna and go to Tottenham to start a new life, but he couldn't. Not yet. Thus, he went back to the small door connecting both establishments to eavesdrop. He wanted to be there in case Nellie needed a hand to get rid of that pesky woman.

He heard both chatting at the door, Eleanor breaking the news to her in her most affected voice. "This is not a good time, Mrs. Mooney, dear. My sweet Albert has passed away! Found him collapsed on the floor when I came back from the market, I did! It was too late to save him..."

A loud wail reverberated through the building, making the walls shake. Mrs. Mooney must be the only person who was in such agony at the passing of the butcher. She sobbed for what felt like hours. Nellie tried to calm her down but it was to no avail. "Let me see him!" Mrs. Mooney demanded. "I must see him!" Eleanor's brave attempts to stop the hysterical woman were not successful. Sweeney heard her running past Eleanor at the shop until she reached Albert in the parlour. "Bertie! No! I love you, Bertie! I need you! Don't leave me!" she cried. Sweeney sighed, her shrieking was hurting his ears. Surely, Nellie would be fine dealing with this lunatic on her own. Yet his feet wouldn't budge. He heard the blasted hag yell louder than before. "I will bring you back!"

"Mrs. Mooney that's highly inappropriate!" Nellie chastised her but she didn't stop whatever she was doing. The young widow was losing her patience "Enough! Get out of my property at once!"

There was the sound of a struggle, then a slap and Sweeney went running down the stairs, ready to defend Eleanor from anyone who dared to hurt her. Yet it was Mrs. Mooney who had her hand on her face, trying to soothe the pain Eleanor's undoubtedly vicious slap had caused her. She charged back at her, the meat pie on her hand ended up on Nellie's chest, missing its intended target—her face. Furious, the younger woman huffed and rolled up her sleeves, ready for a catfight. That's when Sweeney intervened, easily separating them before things got out of hand. He was much bigger and stronger than them. Nellie was seething, but Mrs. Mooney cowered under his cold murderous gaze. Her silence, unfortunately, did not last long.

"You killed my Bertie! You wanted to be free to copulate with your multiple lovers. Like this one!" Mrs. Mooney accused Nellie as she pointed as Sweeney, who was holding her by the clavicle to prevent her from continuing their fight. He was holding Eleanor the same way. "I told him you were no good and now he's dead! He would have loved me and you took that from us!"

"Oh, please! Bertie hated you. He told me you were gross. A disgusting hag, he called you! Your saggy tits made him want to vomit, unlike mine. Bertie loved to suck on these balloons as he called them." She puffed her chest out and Sweeney could not believe she was bragging about driving that bastard mad with lust. Female pride, he supposed. "They're still better than yours even covered in your disgusting pie. Bertie lost a tooth trying to chew them! And let's not talk about the taste. Even pussy meat would taste better than your 'meat' and that's why your shop is always empty! Just like I was a better wife to Bertie, I am also a better pie maker!"