But the lad seemed to read his mind because he said: "I didn't tell him it was you!" he coughed and Sweeney gave him a moment to explain himself but didn't remove his hands. "I told him Arthur's lawyer contacted me! Never mentioned Nellie or you, I didn't! I'm sorry but please don't kill me, my mother needs me! I'm the only one she has! Nellie told me you has a daughter, you have to understand!"

Something shifted in Sweeney then and he released him. He knew he was telling the truth, Pirelli did it for his family and he should know better than anyone that there were no limits when it came to protecting those you love. Besides, he'd already destroyed a family today and he didn't know if he could bear being responsible for the likely death of a poor woman if he murdered her only child. Pirelli moved his hands to his throat, massaging it as he took deep breaths, filling his lungs with the air Sweeney's hands were depriving him of. But he still did not leave.

"Thank you, Mr. Barker. I'm sorry, never meant for this to happen, I didn't. You know, I will never forget what you did for me. I'm thinking of taking my mum to Italy, warm weather will be good for her. Always had this dream of shaving the Pope and when I do, I will tell him I learnt from the best. Best barber in London, you are" he praised him and Sweeney rolled his eyes. Yes he'd spared his life in a rare moment of compassion but that didn't mean he was willing to listen to his sentimental ramblings. He was about to walk off when he mentioned Nellie.

"Say goodbye to her from me, tell her I'm sorry. She's a good lass, quite the catch that one. Mr. Lovett doesn't deserve her. Tried my luck with her but she was too hung up on the gold digging sailor to open her legs for me, a pity. But maybe you will be luckier" he paused and Sweeney fought the urge to choke him again, he had no right to talk about her like that, no right to imply what he was implying. "Oh, c'mon, don't play the daft lassie. I know you care about her, I've seen the way you look at her, how jealous you got when you saw us together, how protective... and I think she has a fondness for you, she does. You know, maybe you should thank me for helping to sink the sailor, huh?"

He tried to playfully elbow him but a murderous look from Sweeney was all it took to stop him dead in his tracks. "Get out of my sight if you don't want me to regret sparing your life" he threatened and after a brief tipping of his hat, the lad ran away. With a heavy side and trying and failing not to think about Collins' words, he made his way back home.

Once he got to the 186 of Fleet Street, the first thing he noticed was that Albert's butcher's shop was already open and running, and as he suspected, his landlord was bragging about his courthouse success to a poor woman. Judging by her face, he could tell she'd just come in to grab some meat for today's dinner but was caught off guard and forced to endure Albert's self-aggrandising tales. He went as far as comparing himself to and exerting his superiority over his famous namesakes, Prince Albert and his first born son Albert, the future king of the United Kingdom, but the only thing they had in common was the nickname "dirty Bertie" that the working classes gave the heir to the throne and fit the degenerate butcher just as perfectly.

All in all, Mr. Lovett seemed to be in a great mood and Sweeney was relieved to confirm that Pirelli was telling the truth when he said he didn't mention him or Nellie. Even though an innocent boy's life was ruined, life would go on as usual and in the grand scheme of things, he supposed he had to be grateful for that. But then the lady asked Albert for a meat pie and instead of Nellie gloriously emerging from the kitchen with one of her succulents treats, her husband replied he didn't have any left and that he didn't know when his wife would be able to make more. All the alarm bells rang in his head and as soon as his client left, he barged in.

"Hello again, Mr. Barker! Did you enjoy your walk home? It's hot outside, you're perspiring. Please stay there, all the flies will flock to you in no time and leave my meat alone" he seemed to joke but Sweeney was not amused. "You could have shared the carriage back home with us, but maybe you were intimidated at the prospect of sitting next to such greatness when you're a loser, huh?"