Chapter 15: Water gate

After walking for about 10 minutes, we finally come to the edge of the lake.

"So... who is actually going then?" I ask as Robin and Steve lead the way to the boat.

"Well its gonna be me, Nancy, Robin and Eddie." Steve says and I look at everyone in confusion.

"Well what about me? I'm coming with you guys." I say as they steady the boat on the water.

Eddie sighs and turns to me. He let's go of my hand and places both his hands on my arms.

"Y/N... I know you want to come with us but I can't have you getting hurt. You're already hurt. What about your back?" Eddie asks sincerely.

"No Eddie, I'm fine. It doesn't hurt anymore." I reply.

Truth is, it stings like a bitch.

"Please just stay here. Everything is gonna be fine. Just stay here and look after the others." Eddie kisses my forehead.

"So what? I have to look after the kids while you guys go on an important mission?" I cross my arms.

Steve laughs and turns to me.

"Well someones gotta be the babysitter." He says.

I roll my eyes, looking down at the floor. What if something goes wrong? I should be going too. I have powers to protect all of us.

Eddie places his index finger under my chin and lifts it slightly so I'm looking at him.

"We're gonna be alright. Please just look after yourself." He gives me a small smile which I return.

I nod and Eddie smiles at me, now placing the palm of his hand against my cheek. He places a tender kiss to my lips which I return.

However, it doesn't last long as Robin coughs in the background. Eddie and I pull away from each other and go our separate ways.

One by one they all step into the boat and make their way into the middle of the lake.

"Well... I didn't see that coming." Danny smirks, walking beside me.

"What?" I ask.

"You and Eddie." Danny replies and I feel myself blushing a bit.

"Yeah... me neither." I laugh, sitting down beside the water.

Max, Dustin and Danny have their own conversation. Something about Steve but I don't really listen. Instead, I focus on the boat on the lake.

Steve dives off the edge which makes me uneasy. But that's the only way they're gonna find the gate.

Shortly after, I see Steve emerge from the water and he clings onto the side of the boat, taking to the others.

"Guys... something doesn't feel right." I get the attention of the 3 sat next to me.

The strange feeling I get is soon proven right as Steve is dragged underwater. Nancy soon goes after him. Then Robin follows, leaving Eddie on his own.

Despite him being far away, I can hear his tantrum but it soon stops as he turns to face me.

"Eddie! Don't you dare!" I shout but he doesn't listen to me, falling into the water as he goes after the others.

"Shit!" Dustin exclaims.

We hear voices and police sirens in the distance coming closer. The cops are here.

"You 3, create a distraction. I have to go after them." I order.

Before they can protest, Max begins shouting and they all run off, distracting the police. I take my chance to swim as fast as possible into the centre of the lake. I then dive down, swimming towards the lake gate.

As I get closer, I see the awful red looking gate which is open slightly.

I ignore the stinging sensation in my back and dive through the gate, emerging on the other side, upside down.

What the...?

"Steve!"

I snap my head to the sound of Nancy's voice and see the four of them in the distance, fighting off some weird bat like creatures.

I sprint as fast as I can towards them and when I'm about 5 meters away i stop.

"Guys! Get out of here!" I shout, holding out my arm.

"Y/N!? You shouldn't be here..." Eddie looks at me with a worried face.

"Just go!"

I stop the bats from attacking the others, holding them in place as I try my hardest to rip off their wings from their bodies.

A stray bat whips past my arm, slicing it a bit but I ignore the pain. I scream as I hold put my other arm, tearing all the bats in half, watching as they fall to the ground.

A streak of blood falls from my nose but I just wipe it away.

"Oh shit..."

Another large swarm of bats begins to fly towards me so I run in the direction the others went. I run as fast as possible into the forest, dodging and weaving through the foliage.

Suddenly, I'm pulled behind a rock, a hand clamping over my mouth. I try to escape but I notice that it's only Eddie.

All 5 of us stay quiet, listening as the bats go past us.

"Y/N you shouldn't have come. You're already getting yourself hurt." Eddie says, wrapping his handkerchief around my wounded arm.

"Well if I didn't come, you guys might not even be alive. Now... what's the plan?" I say.

They all look at each other with blank faces.

Great. No plan. Guess we have to roll with it and see what happens.