The Spider

Ya'll okay with spiders? Hope so.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wandered in the sand hills for hours. I found an assortment of insects and sunning lizards, but I had my mind set on an animal in particular; the sand deer. Try as I might to diverge or forget, my heart was still set on the elk I lost as a child. The mage-monk often said to let my heart lead when it came to these types of things. If the contract failed again, I could try a lizard, I supposed. Maybe find one of the giant sand snakes, or a vulture. 

The forest and wheat plains were nothing compared to the sand hills; I could cross both in less than half a day with luck. It could take days or even weeks to get through the sand hills, depends on weather and knowledge. A sandstorm could whip up in a matter of seconds with little warning.

By the time I finally found a sand deer, the sun was well on it's way to setting. My water skin empty and my bread long since eaten. I had just turned around when I spotted her watching me from a top a sand hill, ear perked. She didn't run as she tried to gauge if I was a threat or not. Without wasting time, I got to work. 

In the sand below me, I drew out a simple rune, but the air above it immediately was charged with magic. It was not wild mage; this was a controlled and ancient spell, one I knew now by heart. I felt a freezing whirlwind form around me, but the sand did not move at all. I clapped my hands together and as I slowly pulled them apart, a green energy formed between them, growing as I strained to pull my hands farther from each other. It was as if I was trying to move through honey.

The sand deer above was still watching, unmoving and unblinking. Animals instinctively knew what this spell was. There was no immediate rejection; a good sign. I swallowed down my nerves and, with a quick and violent motion, threw my arms up. The green energy zipped away from me and toward the deer. I watched with bated breath as it sped across the sands directly toward her. 

She wasn't moving! My heart was racing in my chest as she did not move away from the magic and instead took a step toward it, her beautiful eyes closing, sand colored fur taking on a green tint.

And then there was an explosion of sand.

Two massive, thing legs wrapped around the doe and dragged her down into the sand. The green energy flew right over her. The sand on the hill roiled and buckled as the doe struggled against the massive monster beneath. My knees gave out and I stifled back a sob. The sands soon went still for a time.

I sat in complete defeat, staring where the doe had just been. My breathing came in panicked, uneven bursts. She had been willing. I had been so close to making my contract. The first time in years, I actually had hope. I pounded both of my fists on the ground and screamed, not caring for the creature that lurked beneath. Again and again I slammed my fists down, screaming and wailing like a mad woman, the sand cutting into my skin.

I did not even notice that on the hill above, I was being watched by many eyes. Eyes, some as big as my head and others as small as my balled, bleeding fists. I did hear it, however, when it started to move toward me in the sand. A horrible pattering of eight stiff legs gliding effortlessly across the sand toward me.

So I looked up. A spider, grey, brown, ugly and giant, stood towering over me as it came to a stop beside me. It didn't move for awhile and I felt rage well up within me.

"You took her from me! You stole my chance at happiness!" I screamed, lurching to my feet.

The spider just watched, unmoving. I took a threatening step toward it, as if I could do anything against a giant spider, and it took one of it's front legs and lightly pushed me away.

"Don't," A male voice warned, shocking me from me fury and sorrow, "I've only just come back to myself. I can't guarantee your safety."

It took me an absurdly long amount of time to figure out that the voice...the voice had come from the spider.

I was forced to pause at that. Animals don't speak. Contracted animals could communicate with their contractor through their mind links, but this was different. An actual voice was coming...from the massive spider.

The top of the spider's head suddenly split open and a pale hand pressed itself out. Like a puppet with it's strings cut, the horrible thing crumpled to the ground and the torso of a curly haired young man dragged itself out of the spider and stopped, panting heavily. He looked up at me and then gave a very pleased grin.

"Hello," He chuckled despite his clear exhaustion.