"You should do well to remember who taught you that."

Calanthe watched the two bicker amongst themselves for a moment. At first she hadn't noticed the changes in her old mentor. Though Pollux's face did not age, her eyes had. When Calanthe had met Pollux, there was a bright shine in her red eyes, now Pollux's eyes had dulled. There was only ever a minute twinkle in her eyes when Geralt was mentioned or spoke to her. It was also quite the shock to the queen to see the gaping scar that ran across Pollux's face. The once red iris now a dull milky white. Pollux's gaze was still piercing but now more so that before, it was threatening. Pollux used to have hope in her eyes, a kindness and halo of empathy that could be seen in her stare. Now it remained cold, and unforgiving. The world had finally gotten to her once positive mentor. Something Calanthe had never wanted to see. Her heart almost ached for her mentor, now that she had grown up, she had seen a lot of Pollux in her daughter. But now her old friend was all but unrecognizable. Calanthe reminded herself though that, to her knowledge, this was the life Pollux had chosen. These were occupational hazards, much like those that presided with becoming a monarch. There was nothing they could do. She did find some relief in the dynamic between her mentor and the other witcher sitting beside them. It was plain as day to anyone with eyes, that Geralt cared deeply about his partner, in the same way that his partner felt the same way about him.

She leaned towards them, interrupting their oblivious flirting. "Tell me, how does a Witcher find himself at my daughters wedding feast dressed like a..." She laughed, her gaze shifting to Pollux in a dress.

"Protecting the bard from vengeful royal cuckolds." Geralt sighed,moving his hand to rest on Pollux's lower thigh. Pollux tensed slightly, but allowed a soft chuckle to be uttered from her as she turned to face Calanthe.

"Idiots, the lot of them." Calanthe murmured. "Still, I am glad of your company, which could prove handy. I have no doubt blood will be spilled tonight."

"Save your breath, Calanthe. Neither of us are here as a bodyguard." Pollux said, a breath catching in her throat as Geralt squeezed her thigh. She turned to glare at him, almost daring him to continue.

"You were just hired so by the Bard."

"I'm helping the idiot free of his coin. He is a friend." Geralt said, tracing small circles on his companion's inner thigh, accepting the dare.

Pollux, bit her lip slightly, mainly out of annoyance but also out of frustration. Pollux's first instinct was to bite Geralt. But that would've been cut short from the groan that almost escaped from her lips.

Calanthe sighed, disappointed. She expressed it and then retorted, "As Queen, I could Command it."

"If I were one of your subjects." Pollux said, her eyebrows raised.

"I could torture you into compliance."

"You should do well to remember who taught you that." Pollux countered, desperately trying to ignore the hand that inched up her thigh.

"Everyone has a price." Calanthe spoke. But Geralt and Pollux were unwavering in their stance. Their wills stood strong. This was something Pavetta clearly took notice in. She watched Pollux move her hand to place on top of Geralt's. Under the table, the two interlocked their fingers and looked at one another, discussing their options silently. She couldn't help but see the gleam of admiration in Geralt's eyes as he looked down at Pollux. It was clear that he wanted no one but her. Their lives were forever intertwined, and they belonged together.

"Your wife is very opinionated." Pavetta said to Pollux, who laughed slightly. She grabbed the goblet sitting in front of her and brought it to her pink lips, looking at Pollux eagerly.

"He is not my husband." Pollux interjected.

"But she is stubborn." Geralt said, sighing into his free hand.

"He isn't."

Pollux smiled at the girl who looked completely taken aback by the news. "We've traveled together for over a decade. Khaer Moren is our home that we go to during the freeze. We are close, but not married."

She tilted her head to the side in confusion. "He looks at you as if you are the only thing in the world." Pavetta whispered into Pollux's ear.

Pollux smiled at that. But it turned into a frown quickly when she saw the sadness in the princess' eyes. "I take it you aren't exactly happy with the marriage that has been arranged for you."

Pavetta sighed, shaking her head. Her face tilted down and she opened her mouth to say something. But she shut it quickly. There was nothing she could say that could stop it, so why voice an opinion on something she could not control.

"Pavetta. You are so much more to this world than just a womb. I want you to know, that however tonight should go, you'll do so much more than produce an heir, or whatever bullshit men feed you. Take back what is rightfully yours... A choice."

Pavetta looked at Pollux, tears formed in her eyes. A rosy hue formed around her face. In the green iris of her eyes, swirled gratitude. Pollux had become just as much a mentor to her as she had to her mother all those years ago. Pavetta had been given the only thing she had ever asked for, a voice, to be heard. Pollux, who simply lent an ear to the girl was able to provide her with the single most helpful gift she had ever received.

Pavetta looked at Pollux, tears formed in her eyes. A rosy hue formed around her face. In the green iris of her eyes, swirled gratitude. Pollux had become just as much a mentor to her as she had to her mother all those years ago. Pavetta had been given the only thing she had ever asked for, a voice, to be heard. Pollux, who simply lended an ear to the girl, was able to provide her with the single most helpful gift she had ever received. Pavetta sighed again, "I wish I could marry someone who looks at me the way he looks at you. Someone who would complete me, Someone I am balanced with. I do not love the man I am betrothed to. I don't think I ever will."

"Unfortunately, most people in this day and age don't marry for love, power always comes before love in king. One day you will find someone who loves you for who you truly are, and they will reciprocate that same feeling. And sometimes, that is just enough." Pollux said. She placed a hand over Pavetta's. "You need not worry, someone will marry you for you. I have faith."

A/N: Another filler, but were getting to the meat of this so I am really excited to push the next couple chapters out soon!!