Atlantica Planitia

"So" said Andrew. "What do the guys and girls at school think of us now?"

     David, James and Jasmine were sitting in the living room, doing homework on their tablet computers. None of them looked up at their father's question. "No-one's been talking about it," said James, still focused on the half finished history project glowing on his screen. "Not while we've been online, anyway."

     "What about chat forums?" asked Andrew. "You can look back, see what people have been saying while you were away."

     "They've been speculating on our chances of success," James replied. This time he did look up, smiling. "The consensus of opinion seems to be that there's a secret remainer among us who'll sabotage the mission at some point."

     "Do they think it's me?"

     "Nobody's been saying that they think it's you, but that might just be because they think you're the obvious choice." James smiled with embarrassment. "No-one likes to bet on a sure thing."

     "So long as they're not actually betting." The children glanced at each other while avoiding their father's eyes. "What?" demanded Andrew. "Are they actually gambling?"

     "Philip's ten to on," said James, his eyes firmly fixed on the tablet. "Li's five to one and Lungelo's three to one."

     "And what about me?"

     The three children tensed up visibly. "You're even money," said James. "Sorry."

     "The good news is that the three of us are all the way down at thirty to one," said David, smiling apologetically, "and Joe's all the way down at a hundred to one. That's because he was tied up, I suppose."

     "I was tied up too!" said Andrew in disbelief. "Even money? For Pete's sake!"

     "I've put twenty quid on Joe," said David brightly. "I'll really clean up if it turns out to be him."

     "There are no remainers on this mission," said Andrew firmly. "And you, young man, should not be gambling."

     "It's just a school thing. It's not like proper gambling."

     "I'll still be fined if the police find out and you'll get a notation on your record that'll follow you for the rest of your life. Cancel your bet at once."

    David looked crestfallen. "I only did it to show them that I don't think it'll be you."

     "It's not going to be anyone. There are no remainers on this mission. We're going to go to LaSalle, get the dysprosium and bring it back and The Return will go ahead right on schedule. Cancel your bet and never gamble again. They work the odds so that only the house wins. You know that, right?"

     "I didn't do it to make money," David looked close to tears. "I did it to show that I know you're not a remainer."

     Andrew went over to sit beside him and put a hand around his shoulders. James and Jasmine had put down their tablets and were watching anxiously.

     "I know that," he said, giving the boy's shoulder a squeeze. "You're a fantastic kid. One of the three best kids in the world, but you don't have to do something like that to show me how much faith you have in me. I already know it." He turned to look at James and Jasmine. "I know you all have faith in me. You don't have to prove it." He looked back down at David. "So cancel the bet, okay? Show them you have nothing but contempt for such immature activity."

     "Okay," said David miserably.

     Andrew squeezed his shoulder again and ruffled his hair. David squealed in protest, but when he looked up he was smiling again. "You okay?" asked Andrew. "Really?"