I shrugged.

"Zero," he said. "That's how many, (Y/n)."

We watched her roll around the lot once more. "Yeah, she shows up the day after someone with the same name and breaks our top score." Dustin said. "I mean, you kidding me?"

"Exactly." Lucas agreed. "So, she's gotta be Mad Max."

"And plus she skateboards, so she's pretty awesome." Dustin mentioned.

"Awesome?" Mike asked. "You haven't even spoken a word to her."

"Hey, I don't have to." Dustin said. "I mean, look at her." We all turned back to find Max gone. "Shit, I've lost the target."

"Oh, over there, guys." I said, and we watched her going up the stairs, entering the side building.

Dustin, Will, and Lucas noticed she tossed something in the trash before she left and went to go investigate. Mike and I dragged behind them. As Dustin searched, girls walked over with a couple of odd looks on their faces. The boys waved nervously to them and I stood there just casually.

Mike placed one hand in his pocket while wrapping the other arm around my waist. "Got it!" My brother exclaimed, standing upright. "There we go."

"Stop spying on me, creeps." The boys read and I giggled.

"What?" My brother asked me.

"You guys are so hopeless." I said. "You're getting your hopes up for nothing."

"Well, shit." Dustin muttered under his breath.

"William Byers?" A voice asked and we all turned around to face the principal. "Your mother's here."

When he left, I kept my gaze on Will who walked away quietly. "Hey..." Dustin said, standing behind us. "Do you guys think he's okay?"

"He's always weird when he has to go in," Lucas said.

I peeked around the corner of the school as we watched him walking with the principal. "I don't know." Mike lowered his voice.

"He's quiet today." I whispered, holding Mike's hand in mine.

"He's always quiet, (Y/n)..."

Mike looked at me as I leaned my head on his shoulder. Mike kissed the top of my head. The four of us were frowning, and I felt my brother and Lucas patting my shoulder in comfort.

~~~

*Will's POV*

My mom and I sat in the green Ford in silence on the way. We didn't say a thing until she spoke, "You feeling any better? ...Will?"

"Huh?" I mumbled, peeling my eyes away from the window. I watched the trees roll by, but as I watched, I waited for the scenery to change. Not that I wanted to wait for it, but it pretty much changes drastically on me. "Yeah, yeah sorry."

"Hey." Mom said, softly. "What did we talk about, huh? You've got to stop with the sorries."

"Sorry," I said without thinking and then I sat upright. "I mean, yeah, I know."

"And listen, you know, there's nothing to be nervous about, you know? Just tell 'em what you felt last night and what you saw. Hey, I'm gonna be there the whole time. So it's gonna be okay, okay?"

Mom's always been there to encourage me and I appreciated every single word she said to me. But this time, I felt uneasy. I felt so on edge that I knew that I was worrying everyone. I knew I had worried (Y/n) the most, but I couldn't even talk to her.

"Okay." Was all I said.

We met up with the chief. "Hey, buddy." Hopper said.

"Hey." I replied, placing my hands in my pocket.

We arrived at Hawkins Lab. It was time to be tested. They measured my weight first, placed a syringe in me, and tested my blood pressure.

They laid me down, and marked dots for sticking the wires on me. The machine was plugged in, and the door opened to Dr. Owen. "Sir Will, how are you?" He greeted with a clipboard.

I frowned, but watched him walking over to us.

"Mom." He nodded to them. "Pop. Let's take a look, see what's going on here. I see you shaved off a pound since we saw you last. Must be making room for all that Halloween candy?" I shrugged in response, but wanted to be courteous, so I smiled. "What's your favorite candy? Desert island candy, if you had to pick one?"

"I don't know." I said.

"Come on. Life or death situation, what would you pick?"

"I guess..." I looked at mom who mouthed the words to me. "Reese's Pieces."

"Good call." Dr. Owen said. "Good call. I'm more of a Mounds guy, but I gotta say, peanut butter and chocolate, come on, hard to beat that."

I knew he was trying to lift the spirits and everything, but I just laid there, almost motionless and expressionless.

"All right, tell me what's going on with you. Is there a girl you like?"

"Yeah, there is this one girl I like, but she's with someone else." I said. I knew my mom was surprised, but it didn't bother me as much as what was going on inside me.

"Tell me about this episode you had."

"Well, my friends were there, and then they weren't, and I was back there again." I started to tell him. 

"In the Upside Down?" Dr. Owens asked. I knew he wasn't talking about (Y/n) anymore. I nodded and the machine continued to monitor my brain waves. It seemed pretty normal at first. "All right, so what happened next?"

"I heard this noise, and so I went outside, and it was worse."

"How was it worse?" Dr. Owens asked curiously.

"There was this storm." I remembered the angry, dark red ominous clouds in the Upside Down. Lightning flashed and it grew stronger with each rumble. They were looking at the E.E.G that started to go a little crazy.

"Okay, so how did you feel when you saw the storm?" he asked.

"I felt...frozen."

"Heart racing?" 

"Just frozen."

Mom and Hopper just listened off to the side. "Frozen, cold frozen? Frozen to the touch?" Dr. Owens asked some more.

"No," I said, softly. "Like how you feel when you're scared, and you can't breathe or talk or do anything. I felt...felt this evil, like it was looking at me."

"It was evil?"

The E.E.G waves were starting to pump out erratically.

"Well," he cleared his throat. "What do you think the evil wanted?"

"To kill."

"To kill you?" Dr. Owens asked, his eyes looking down at me.

"Not me." I said. I looked at him with a serious look in my eyes. "Everyone else."