chapter 36 - Leaving you alone

Start from the beginning

"What was that?" He asked.

"Oh nothing, nothing at all." I said and leaned back into the seat. 

"Seems like you enjoy popcorn, huh?" 

"This has to be something made from the guardians. It's so salty and buttery, yet a little sweet." He licked his lips. "Whoever crafted that meat stick from earlier, should jump off a cliff."

I chuckled and shook my head. 

"Seriously? You have a vendetta against hotdogs now?"

"It was disgusting."

As he spoke, the room suddenly became dark and Nova jumped up to his feet. I grabbed his wrist and pulled him back. 

"Easy silly willy, it's just the movie."

"R-right…"

He sat back and I grabbed the 3D glasses from my purse. Then I leaned over and gently slid them on his face. 

"Glasses?" He asked.

"It's special magical glasses. They help you see the special stuff in the show."

He nodded and sat back. Then, the movie started to go. He jumped as the logo came out at us and I grabbed his hand. 

"Don't worry, they can't hurt us okay?"

"You sure?" He asked and glared at the screen.

I chuckled. "Yes, yes I am."

As the movie went on, he seemed to get used to the scenes. The monster hadn't shown up yet. But I figured we'd just cross that bridge when we got there. His big rough hands delicately held onto mine like I was a flower. While he winced occasionally at the scenes. This should've been the moment to send my heart soaring, and yet. His words from earlier still rang in my mind. 

'I want to pay you back.'

What if this date is just that, what if it was just pity? I tried to just ignore the thoughts, but they trampled over my mind. No, I can't pretend like it's not bothering me.

"Hey Nova, can I ask you something?" I whispered. 

"Hhhmm? Sure, what is it?"

"Why exactly, did you agree to the date?"

He turned from the screen and looked over to me. 

"Why are you asking?"

"Just…humor me, please?"

"Alright, well. It's complicated, I agreed initially to pay you back for being kind to me.  However, once Boa explained what a date was. I got scared."

His eyes trailed away from mine to our hands. 

"Why?"

"People generally don't stick around me. Everyone eventually leaves, and I didn't want that to be you. After you made me feel like I was something special. Not to mention romantically I have no experience. But Nick told me running wouldn't solve the issue. I needed to take a risk. Because if we romantically don't work out, you'd be a good friend to have in my life." He squeezed my hand gently. "So, I came because I kinda like having you around when you're around. I figured it would be fun to see you more, and so far. I can’t say I regret a thing."

Warmth rose in my chest and I leaned over more, aiming to give him a kiss on the cheek. But, my moment was ruined as Nova jumped out of his seat. I looked over at the movie and saw the killer reaching out from the screen. Nova landed on top of the seats and started snarling and swinging at the fake monster. 

"Bring it demon!" He yelled.

"Hey buddy, sit down!"

"Yeah! Shut up!" 

I took out my phone and started recording, Nyx is gonna love this! After a bit, I climbed over to him and explained what was going on. Which made him get quiet. Since we royally ticked off everyone in the theater. I just grabbed his hand and took him out. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ruin everything…" He mumbled, his eyes staring down at the floor. 

I stopped as we got halfway out and I turned toward him. Without a word, I stepped close and kissed his cheek. 

"Nova, I'm having the time of my life right now. I can't remember a time I've smiled this much."

His face lit up like a Christmas tree and he gently poked at the cheek I kissed. I reached out and grabbed his hand. 

"Come on! Let's go try on some clothes! We can have a fashion show!" I said and dragged him off.

We went to a random clothing store and started trying on clothes. We begged the employee to take pictures of us as we tried on random stuff. And I learned a lot of things. Number one, Nova looks great in anything form fitting! We both went into the changing room and as I went to get changed, my phone went off. I checked it, and saw it was Boa, probably wondering how things were going. I answered. 

"Hey Aunt Boa, what's-"

"Have you seen Nyx!?" She yelled.

A chill ran down my spine. 

"N-no, why?"

"He's been missing for hours and we can't find him. Please, if you see him. Call us okay!?"

"What's going on!? Tell me what's going on, Is he okay?"

"I don't know, we got into an argument, and Nick said he sensed cursed spirits when he saw him last. It could be bad. Just if you can, help."

My arm began to shake and I could barely hold it steady. A flash of Nyx holding out his hand to me came to mind and I suddenly had a tight grip around my phone. I knew something was wrong! I got distracted by this stupid date! I'm gonna find you Nyx. I hurried out and found Nova. He was wearing a pink tank top with SpongeBob on it, while wearing heart shaped sunglasses.

"I feel ridiculous, but at least this top feels a bit more free."

My eyes traced down to the bracelet around his wrist. It was the same one Nick and Boa used to forest walk. I definitely need it to find him.

"Hey, Novy, think I can borrow your bracelet? I think it'll go well with our next dress up!"

Without a word he took it off and held it out to me. 

"Just don't lose it."

"I won't." I assured and took it from him. 

Then I grabbed some random clothes and shoved them in his hand. 

"Now go try those on."

"Seriously…?" He asked. 

"What!? It's cute."

"Uh huh." He said and turned around. 

Then, as soon as he vanished into the changing room. I turned around and ran out of the store. Don't worry Nyx! I'm coming! I'm not gonna leave you alone!