"Remaining calm is not in my nature today, Jacob," Luke said, his voice hard. "If you don't hand me either a vape or a wrench-"

"Lemonade!" Mom called out from behind us. "Or sweet tea. Pick your poison."

"Can Nathan and Wes take this over?" I asked, glancing back toward her. "Because Jake's head is about to be used as a hammer."

"I'm not the one who-" Jake started, before my Mom swiftly cut him off.

"You three can figure this out or die trying," she said. "I don't have time for squabbles today, Brennan's doctor has already called me three times and I'm waiting on another call back. Get this done."

My mom never raises her voice, but when the don't test me tone comes out, it's in everyone's best interest to listen.

"Yes, ma'am," I said, in unison with Luke and Jake.

"I'll bring out three lemonades then." And she swiftly closed the door behind her.

"Jake is going to take over as supervisor," I said. "Luke, you read me the next steps, and I'll just knock this out."

Jake's jaw shifted, the muscles clearly clenched. "Fine."

"Okay so what we need for step three are the C-bolts and a wrench," Luke said.

Jake handed me the wrench, remaining silent.

"And where do the bolts go, Luke?" I asked.

The three of us worked in a tense yet productive silence, the conversation remaining focused on the tools and steps.

"I could use a hand tightening these last bolts," I said to Jake, holding out the wrench. "Someone with a little more grip strength."

"Now my help is warranted?"

I should've known that Jake was still going to be pissy. He doesn't take to being ordered around, especially not in an area he considers himself experienced in.

"I don't like building stuff anymore than you do. But I'm getting it done for Brennan."

He took the wrench from me. "That's the only reason I'm still here."

"You two are the worst people to work with," Luke said as he stood up. "I'm going inside to move clothes and boxes. I suggest you two jump in the lake, because you could both really use a cool off." And then he was gone.

Jake sat down next to me. "I'm not small enough to fit inside of that space."

Wiggling myself out from underneath the ramp, I took a moment to brush the dirt off of me. "You don't have to. I just found it easier, but you can come around from the outside."

I pointed the bolts out to him, the two of us sitting in silence as Jake worked.

"I don't like you choosing Luke over me," Jake muttered.

And there it is. "I wasn't choosing Luke. We both got heated, and he was a good buffer."

Jake stood up, handing the wrench out toward me. "I don't like menial tasks."

I took the wrench from him, rolling my eyes in response. "I know, which is why I made Luke do it instead."

There had always been a third in our friendship. Jake, me, and Brennan. Jake and I were alike in so many ways that it always led to our downfall. We were both hot heads, we both liked being in charge, and neither one of us could ever sit still.

But then there was Brennan. Easygoing, always smiling, a diffuser. He was the true captain of the ship that kept everything running smoothly.

And trying to be that in his place was exhausting.