Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Last Minute Deals

"There's a spot! Hold on to your hat, Ernest!"

"But miss! I'm not wearing a—WOAH!"

Without giving her assistant, Ernest Greeves a proper warning, Hershel Layton's youngest daughter, Katrielle Layton swerved into the last visible parking spot, nearly putting a dent in someone else's car in the process. Ignoring Ernest' pleas about being careful when driving, Kat hopped out of her car and began sprinting towards the mall, her assistant trying his best to catch up to her.

"M-miss, wait! Please slow down!"

"But we have to hurry! I don't want anything to be out of stock yet!"

"Just-hah-please wait for me! I can't run this fast!"

Kat let out a sigh as she stopped sprinting to wait for Ernest. He finally reached her and proceeded to catch his breath quite loudly. A clear sign that the young man definitely doesn't exercise much.

"Ernest, come on! We have to go inside!"

"Just-hah-give me five more minutes—"

"We don't have five minutes! We have to go now!"

Before Ernest could catch his breath any longer, Kat pulled him into the mall at lightning speed, ignoring the cars that nearly hit them. She ignored his lecturing on the importance of looking both ways before crossing the street and kept sprinting past all the last minute shoppers in the mall. Determination filled her senses as she kept thinking about the one person she hadn't found a gift for yet.

Emiliana Perfetti.

She kept getting butterflies in her stomach just thinking about her. She didn't really know why (or maybe she did), but the very thought about her name made her blush. Because of that, she had been nervous about buying her a gift, fearing she may not like it or use it. But now was the time for her to really be nervous, for it was already Christmas Eve in the blink of an eye. And she still hadn't found a gift for Liana. She felt a little ashamed as she slowed down her fast pace to catch her breath, to which Ernest was thankful for.

"Oh, miss! Why on earth did you wait until the last minute to look for something for Miss Perfetti?"

He patiently waited for her answer, for she was still in the midst of catching her breath.

"I-hah-I was-hah- too nervous to go shopping..."

"But... you bought everyone else that's coming to the party a gift..."

"Well, that's because I know what they all like!"

"And... you don't know what Miss Perfetti likes? Even though you've gotten to know her for about a year now?"

Kat let out a sigh and looked away in embarrassment. She was sure that Liana had mentioned her interests to her at some point, but her head was too filled up with her own worries.

"Well... why don't you just call and ask her—"

"What?! No way! Have you lost it?! That would ruin the surprise!"

"B-but you don't even know what you're going to surprise her with!"

"I know that! It'll be a surprise for the both of us!"

"I-I'm not entirely sure that would be a good thing!"

"Of course it'll be a good thing! I just need to find the right section..."

Kat took a moment to look around the mall, slightly worrying Ernest. She then spotted a nearby jewelry store, with a nice looking pair of pearl earrings.

"Perfect!"

Without giving Ernest a proper warning, she booked it towards the jewelry store, catching him off guard.