Professor Layton and the Christmas Tree Calamity

"Honestly, Hershel! I still don't understand why you always have to wait until Christmas Eve to get yourself a tree!"

Desmond Sycamore's brow furrowed as he looked at his younger brother in annoyance. Despite Hershel Layton's professional demeanor, he still hasn't properly managed his time management skills.

"Hahaha! Well, that's how I've always done it ever since I found my own place to stay. Though, I'm not entirely sure how it started..."

"No worries, Professor! We won't judge you!"

As Luke Triton said this, he looked over at Desmond with a glare.

"Right, Desmond?"

"But he—I—ugh... right..."

The trio approached the entrance to the Christmas Tree park, both Luke and Desmond becoming slightly excited to pick out a tree for the Professor. Only the biggest and the greatest tree for someone with a heart as big and as warm as Hershel's!

There was only one problem though...

"G-good god, Professor! How did you manage to get yourself a tree with all these people swarming about through the years?!"

Right in front of the trio, there were so many big and beautiful trees. Surrounded. By. So. Many. People.

"See Hershel? This is why it's best to get a tree EARLY. Waiting until the last minute to get one is a major hassle!"

"I-is it always this busy, Professor?"

"Well... yes. But I'm a patient man. I don't mind waiting until it's less crowded."

"And... how long do you usually wait?"

Luke honestly didn't want to know that answer. Knowing the kind hearted professor, he would wait for hours on end just to go shopping for something once it's less crowded.

"Well, the longest I've had to wait would've been... about 4 hours?"

"4 HOURS?!"

"God almighty, Hershel! What the hell do you do waiting for 4 hours then?!"

"Well, sometimes I'll bring a book with me to read while sitting on the bench. Or I'll give myself puzzles to solve as I wait."

"I-in the cold, Professor? You don't even sit in your car to wait?"

"Oh goodness, no! My car is all the way over there. It'd be a waste of time for me to walk all the way back to it just to wait."

Both Desmond and Luke were completely dumbfounded by Hershel's thought process. For an archeology professor and a master of puzzle solving, his holiday planning certainly wasn't the smartest...

"I'm sure the bench can fit all three of us. Would you both like to solve a few puzzles while we wait?"

While Luke perked up at the idea of solving a puzzle, Desmond wasn't having any of it. And so, he grabbed them both by the collars and dragged them closer to the sea of people swarming all the trees.

"There is no way I'm letting you puzzle happy fools make me wait 4 hours for a damn tree! So if you want a tree, you're going to have to fight for one."

"Oh, but Desmond! I'm not looking to fight anyone over something as simple as a tree—"

"No buts, brother! I'm going to help you find a decent tree, dammit!"

"And I'll help too, Professor!"

"Well, I appreciate the assistance, but don't you think it's best we wait until the place clears up a little?"