Chapter 21: The Past

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing, Alex? Killing yourself?" mom chided as she walks me back to the couch.

"I wish this could kill me, mom," I chuckled humorlessly, bitterness crawled through my chest. I felt empty. She helps me until I settled back on the couch then she occupied the spot beside me. When I tried to reach the whiskey she grabs it away before I could even reach it.

"What happened, son?" she asked calmly. I could see the sadness in her eyes. I stared at my mom and that longing to feel her love, her warm hug, and her motherly words rush to me like a big bang. I just wish I didn't witness her infidelity. I just wish everything were the same.

I don't know if it's the alcohol that made me confess to her, or because I longed for my mother. I tried to avoid talking to her about my personal life, but at that moment, I felt like I'm very weak. I just found myself confessing.

"I met the daughter of Juan Antonio Rivas!" I started and she squirmed as she looks at me warily.

"Nicki?" she mumbled, sucking in her breath. She looks surprised.

I nod in agreement.

"At first, I thought she's just a plain nerdy girl, but I found myself falling on her because she's the only girl in the school who never showed weakness in front of me. She was the only one that is immune to me. Then, we dated. I thought of avenging dad by using her, but then when I kissed her everything was forgotten. I just realized, I want her, and never I so desperately want something in my life. She became my girl. I don't know how it happened but we just found ourselves together. Then she found out about avenging dad and she left me, mom. It was like hell. I thought I'm invincible," I cried. Mom reached for me and hug me with her one hand rubbing my back in circles and for some reason, it gave a little comfort.

"Now, she's back but she love someone already!" I continued on, stifling the tears to streamed like a heavy rain though I felt so weak, vulnerable. I never outburst in front of anyone in my life. I guess mom has this thing to make you melt.

After a lengthy pause, mom spoke calmly while still caressing my back. I could feel her hugs tightened as I listened intently to her.

*****

HAILEY POV

I think it's time for him to know the truth. It's not fair for Nicki. I know, he's scarred and that didn't help him to trust anyone, to give in to love. He is still living in doubt against women and I know, it's my fault. I scarred him and it's hurting me to see him too vulnerable to love.

It took me by surprise his outburst. I never see this day to come, that he will confide and cry in front of me and because of a girl. I know Nicki is a nice girl.

I was brushing his back in circles as I recall how everything was wrong.

"..your dad came back after four years. That time I'm engaged to be married to Tony, or Antonio. Your dad found out and he came back. He called me and apologized for being rude to me four years ago. He apologized for being selfish that he didn't see the reason. He invited me to a dinner for the last time and patch up the ruined friendship he cause. And because I love him as my friend and brother, I agreed. Little did I know..." I paused and heaved a long hard sighed. I felt a lump in my throat. I summoned all my courage to spill it.

"..little did I know he planned to ruin my wedding. After that dinner, as we walked out the restaurant I felt my head heavy. I collapsed just as we reached his car and he brought me to his penthouse and ... " I paused again. Swallowing hard. My son sat straight and look at me waiting for my words. His eyes held so much curiosity and confusion.

"Promise me nothing will change. You still see him as the loving dad and yes he is. He is a nice man, and now I understand why he did it?" I asked in assurance before I spilled the word.