“I’m serious, Syd. Brayden’s one of my friends too, but we’ve grown up together and I introduced you two and I feel partially responsible for-“

“Noah,” I interrupt him before he goes into a rant, lifting my hand to silence him before he gets carried away, “stop right here. Whatever’s going on between me and Brayden is our problem, not yours. I’m sorry if you guys feel like you’re stuck in the middle and have to pick sides,” I tell him, feeling a little bad for making things harder for our friends. That’s what’s really going to blow if Brayden and I ever separate, our friends would either have to choose to stay with me or go with him.

“Okay, whatever you say. I just had to get this off my chest,” Noah exhales, looking relieved, like a huge weight has been lifted off his shoulders. I, unlike him, feel the burden of his decision, trying to suffocate me because I’ve never asked him to choose in the first place.

On one hand, I’m touched he’s willing to do whatever it takes to defend me, but on the other, I’m wondering have people started to finally realize that my relationship with Brayden might not be picture perfect, after all. I’m not as bothered by the thought as I would’ve been a few days ago, way before my patience wore thin.

“And for what it’s worth,” Noah continues as I’m mulling this over, not knowing how I feel about it yet, “I don’t like that Emily chick, either. She’s a cling-on,” he whispers into my ear and I can hear the smile in his voice, even if his face is unsmiling when he looks back at me, all stony-faced and serious-looking because he obviously means business.

Despite my futile resistance, Noah accomplishes his mission. He makes me smile, knowing that at the end of the day, he has my back. I don’t know what it’s about having someone else, who’s so much like you in so many ways that you two must share a brain, which I find so joy-inducing, so liberating. Somehow knowing I’m not standing alone doesn’t exactly make things go any smoother, but it does make them better. For a moment there, I find myself sympathizing with Emily and finding common ground because it dawns on me why she thinks her friendship with Brady is so special. She needs his support, same way I need Noah’s, and CeCe’s, and Lola’s. The only difference she has just him and I have a small army standing behind me.

But then, I shake myself out of it because I remind myself that I don’t make my best friends move mountains for me.

“Thanks, Noah,” I say to him softly, “I’m truly touched.” I never meant to cry, but for whatever reason, my eyes start welling up and I curse my hormones for turning me into an emotional wreck when it’s most inconvenient.

Like when surrounded by hundreds of your classmates, all rushing to go to class, but also, keeping an eye on you because they know you’re prone to land yourself in dramatic situations.

Noah, sensing I’m about to embarrass myself, nudges me lightly in the ribs to bring me back from dreamland, making me gaze up at him and in a truly Noah fashion he says, “Don’t worry, I’ll find a way for you to repay me somehow.”

I laugh gaily, luckily abandoning every idea of crying. Then some guy from the football team hollers his name and waves him over and Noah gives me a quick hug before the crowd swallows him up and we go our separate ways.

I recall my earlier chat with Noah as CeCe and I are sitting in history class, but CeCe doesn’t seem nearly as surprised as I was to hear what Noah had to say.

“No surprise,” she shrugs nonchalantly, her chin propped up in her hand, looking bored to tears, “Noah would do anything for you, Syd. He’s crazy about you.”