Chapter Thirteen - Madness

Start from the beginning

          I didn't know where she was taking me, but I had a feeling that I didn't have any choice but to let her lead the way. I couldn't escape these flames if I managed to separate myself from her. Besides, she knew the way; I didn't. I could still hear her muttering something under her breath, but I was too focused on avoiding the flames and jumping over holes and flames to listen carefully and find out what she was muttering.

          Finally, the magisters' room came to view. A small smile crept up to my face, not big enough to reach my eyes. At least we were in a place I knew.

          She pushed both of the doors open, and all the magisters stared at the opened doors, at us. Mitena was holding an opened book, sitting perfectly still on a chair as she stared at us with emotionless eyes. Radella was pacing the floor, shaking her head a few times. She probably hadn't heard the loud thud the door made because she was too focused on what she was thinking of.

          Xamira, on the other hand, was already walking towards us with a smile on her face. She opened her arms and welcomed me with a warm hug, saying how glad she was that we were safe. It wasn't long before Elfreda pulled me away from Xamira and walked towards the bookshelf, her hand holding mine. She reached over the taper holder on the wall beside the bookshelf and snapped her fingers near the candle, lighting up the candle.

          The bookshelf then moved by itself. Thud! A new set of stairs came to view. They were a little dusty, probably because they rarely used it, or perhaps it was because of these flames, too? What caused the flames anyway?

          She dragged me up the stairs. I didn't want to go with her. I had a bad feeling about this. "Move your legs, Safia!" she spat as I stopped moving my feet.

          "Where are you taking me?" I asked, still not moving my legs.

          She pulled my hand and forced me up the stairs, not answering my question.

          I tried pulling my hand out of her tight grip, but it wouldn't budge. Argh! Why was this old woman so strong?

          When we reached the top of the stairs, we stopped for a while. There was a square block of stone blocking the way. Elfreda still didn't let go of my hand when she placed her hand on the block of stone and pushed it upward with an amount of force I couldn't exert, which made my eyes go wide. After Elfreda lifted the block of stone and pushed it out of the way, she continued dragging me up the stairs.

          "Dream," I heard a woman whisper.

          The cold wind embraced my small body as I arrived at the rooftop. I wrapped my free arm around me, but it wasn't enough. My wavy hair was already dancing in the air, as well as the sleeves  of my dress. Surprisingly, I managed to yank my arm out of the old magister's grip. I then covered myself with both arms, my teeth still chattering.

          When I looked around, the only thing I could see was the dark sky. It was already nighttime. Plus we were at the top of a very tall castle. No wonder the wind was so cold. But what troubled me and almost creeped me out was the fact that Elfreda was nowhere to be seen. I turned to look at the  set of stairs we used to go here. It was already covered with the block of stone already.

          I was alone, all alone.

          The wind blew harder, and I trembled with fear. What was I going to do now? How would I know that one of the magisters would come back for me? Would Xamira come to save me? Many questions rang in my mind as I tried to think of a way to save myself. I wanted to comfort myself and tell myself that there was nothing to worry about, but I knew better. I knew I was in a bad situation. I could die in the cold. I could suffocate in the cold air.