Chapter Nine - Tears

          She took a seat in front of me. Kosh took the dropped book, closed it properly, then placed it on top of the table neatly. Both of us were watching Xamira closely as she looked at Kosh then at me, then turned her gaze back to Kosh, then back to me. 

          "It's nice to see you again, Safia," she said. "How do you feel?" How do I feel? I repeated.

          "Hmm?" I asked, confused. "What do you mean, Magister Xamira?"

          Why is she asking me how I feel right now? Am I supposed to be feeling something weird?

          She smiled. Her smile wasn't a smile that beamed with joy. It was one that showed concern and somehow, love. "Tana said you weren't paying attention in her class."

          "Oh, I'm so sorry," I apologized. "I wasn't myself, and I didn't have enough sleep. Yesterday was such a big and tiring day for me, and a few hours of sleep were not enough. But I know that that isn't enough reason to zone out in her class. I'm sorry. Please, I promise that won't happen again."

          "No, no, no," Magister Xamira said. "It's alright. I was just worried, Safia. But it would be better if you listen to your instructor next time."

          "But Magister Xamir--" I was cut off by her soft and gentle voice.

          "Just call me Xamira."

          "X-Xamira...?" I voiced out.

          She nodded, smiling, "Yes." Then she looked at Kosh. "Koshka, would you mind if I talk to Safia in private? I would like to discuss a few things with her."

          Kosh left the library, leaving me, the woman who always stays inside the library, and Xamira alone in the room. I lowered my gaze, waiting for Xamira to start telling me what we needed to discuss about. I sat quietly on my chair as she stood up and took Kosh's seat, the one beside mine.

          "You know very well that there was a reason why we really wanted to take you in here," she began. "Right, Safia?"

          I nodded slowly, careful of my actions. "Yes," I said clearly.

          "I just want you to understand that whatever the other magisters do to you, they're just doing it for the sake of Aethelgard. For them, it's nothing personal, and it's nothing different." She adjusted her position, moving clockwise so she was facing me, then she placed her hand on my shoulder. "Listen to me, Safia," she said. "We have lived for more than a hundred years protecting Aethelgard. We have encountered lots of monsters and lots of people who posed a threat to Aethelgard, but this time, things are different. I don't know why, but you have to help us in this thing, Safia. You're the only one who can help us." I was the only one who can help them? My body stiffened when Remekiah wrapped himself around me, getting tighter and tighter. What was he doing? I..It hurt. Why was he doing this to me? "Is something wrong, Safia?" Xamira asked.

          Oh, no. She... She mustn't find out about Remekiah Whatever happens, Xamira mustn't find out that Remekiah was here with me. "I... I'm sorry." I pushed the chair backwards and stood up straight with my arms wrapped around my chest. "I uhh... I don't feel well, Magis--Xamira."

          "Oh, it's okay," she said, nodding. "Maybe we can talk next time. Do you need any help?" Xamira tried to reach for my shoulder, but Remekiah's hold made my body twitch horribly.

          "Uh, no. It's...I'm fine. I mean, it's okay. I can go back to my room on my own. Thank you, anyway," I replied too quickly.

          And before I could hear Xamira's reply, I was running out of the library and rushing back to my room to get things straight with the snake who's actions are getting me in trouble. Well, actually, he was getting himself in trouble.