a little chaos, a lot of disappointment

Start from the beginning

Florida and Los Angeles were already in the back seat, their voices dropping to a whisper when Texas approached. Texas gave them a look as he climbed into the driver's seat. The two responded with twin innocent looks.

"Don' think I forgot what happened last time," Texas warned as he started driving.

"That was ages ago," Florida replied. "We're much more mature now."

Los Angeles snickered. "You've got nothin' to worry about, Tex."

Texas rolled his eyes, turning up the radio to drown out the continued whispers for the next half hour.

For the first hour of their time at the mall, Florida and Los Angeles were surprisingly calm. The three grabbed lunch at the food court, then went to a few department stores for Los Angeles to look at the swim collections. He found a rash guard and matching board shorts he wanted in the third store. Florida insisted he needed a new pair of swim trunks as well, which led them into a fourth and fifth store. Texas was bored out of his mind and needed to use the bathroom by the time two hours had gone by.

"I'm goin' to the bathroom," he said as the trio waited to purchase Florida's swim trunks. "Meet me out fron' after y'all pay."

Florida and Los Angeles nodded, trading a look as soon as Texas turned his back on the duo. They silently watched him leave the store and turn left before grinning at one another.

"We got like five minutes, tops," Florida warned as he swiped his credit card.

"Let's get upstairs and we should be good," Los Angeles whispered.

When Texas returned, the two were long gone. He sighed, rubbing his eyes. He pulled out his phone to call Florida, seeing a text from New York.

NY - f sent l a pic of him in spencers. Also can u get nyquil?

Tex - i left them alone for FIVE MINUTES to pee. And yeah i can.

NY - dunno what u expected.

Texas sighed again, pocketing his phone and heading towards the escalator. Los Angeles was still a part of California... there's no way they could get into too much trouble, right?

---

An hour went by with no response from either Florida or Los Angeles. He had searched almost every store, save for Claire's and Victoria's Secret. He'd gotten some Nyquil from CVS and took a seat in the food court, beyond irritated.

After a few minutes, Texas's phone rang. He didn't recognize the number but knew it was a local one. "Hello?"

"Is this Texas?" an exasperated voice asked.

"Yeah, whose askin'?" Texas replied.

"Mall security," the voice said. "I have Florida and someone who refuses to give me a name here. Can you come up?"

Texas took a deep breath. "On my way."

The call ended. Texas grabbed his CVS bag and made his way up the stairs, done with this day. He found the security office easily - it wasn't the first time he'd been called up there.

"Texas?" a voice asked as the door opened.

"Yeah," the Southern state affirmed.

Texas was let into the office. Sitting in plastic chairs were Florida and Los Angeles. Florida looked bored. At least Los Angeles had the sense to look somewhat guilty. Texas crossed his arms and glared at the two.

"We're not pressin' charges," the security guard prefaced. "But we need you to take them out of the mall. They aren't allowed to return for a month."

Texas bit his lip from responding the way he wanted to. Finally, he was calm enough to reply. "Okay. Not a problem."

The security guard turned to look at the other two. "You're free to go."

Florida jumped up, a large stuffed alligator in his arms. Los Angeles stood up a bit slower, grabbing six shopping bags. Texas silently led them out of the office and down to his truck.

"Ain't ya gonna ask why we got in trouble?" Florida wondered once they were on the highway.

"No," Texas snapped.

Florida frowned, turning to whisper to Los Angeles instead of responding. Texas turned the radio up and focussed on driving.

Once they were back at the Statehouse, Texas parked his truck and got out, slamming the door. Los Angeles frowned at him as he and Florida climbed out.

"Chill, bruh," Los Angeles said calmly. "No one got hurt."

Texas met Los Angeles's gaze but kept quiet.

"Don't be mad at him," Florida pleaded. "It was my idea!"

Texas just shook his head. "Honestly? I'm not mad. Just disappointed."

Los Angeles's face fell. "That's worse, man."

Texas took a deep breath. Thankfully California's anger management lessons were coming in useful for once. "Tell Cali I need to talk to 'im when he's feelin' better."

Both Florida and Los Angeles's eyes went wide.

"Tex - no..." Florida pleaded.

"I'm sorry!" Los Angeles exclaimed.

Texas shook his head, turning away. "I told y'all to behave. Face the consequences." He walked towards the house. Louisiana needed the medicine he bought.

Los Angeles groaned. "Cali's mad, too."

Florida cringed. "I'm sorry."

Los Angeles shook his head, grinning at the other. "Don't be. That was the most fun I've had in ages, bro."

Florida grinned back. "So it was worth it?"

"Completely," Los Angeles assured.

"Let's plan our next adventure," Florida suggested, leading the city back to the house. "Cali can't keep you locked up forever after all!"