Chapter 25- Forever

Start from the beginning

"Where are you?" I manage to whisper as two tears race down each cheek. I listen as David clears his throat and continues to remain silent for another minute or so.

"Louis," he says in a gentle tone. "Do you remember what the worst night of my life was?" he asks, his voice barely audible. I blink in confusion as I listen to the faint sounds of crying, coming from the other end of the phone. I debate on questioning him any further, but I speak before my brain can grant permission to my tongue.

"I don't under-" I begin, but am quickly cut short.

"I SAID, DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT THE WORST NIGHT OF MY LIFE WAS?!" David screams into the phone, causing me to jump in fear. My heart races faster than the tears dripping from my jawline.

"DO YOU REMEMBER THE NIGHT THAT MY WHOLE WORLD WAS RIPPED APART?! THE NIGHT THAT I SWORE I WOULD NEVER LIVE TO SEE ANOTHER DAY?!" he continues to yell, his voice cracking every so often.

"DO YOU REMEMBER THE NIGHT THAT THE PERSON I LOVED MOST TURNED ME DOWN?!"

And suddenly, it all makes sense. I take a deep breath and begin to sob silently, knowing exactly what he is talking about.

"Dav-"

"THAT'S WHERE I AM!" he sobs as the line goes silent and the call is ended. The phone falls out of my hand and crashes down into the cupholder loudly. The hot tears in my eyes overflow and spill down my pink cheeks. Suddenly, all of my sadness and despair turns into pure anger. I quickly throw the car into reverse and fly out of the parking space before skidding out of the lot. I fly down the empty, abandoned highway, vacant from any cars in the middle of the night.

I speed through green lights with ease, tears flowing steadily from my eyes. My furious grip on the steering wheel is turning my knuckles white. I sniffle hard and get onto the next ramp, beginning my long journey home.

A long way to Doncaster, but one step closer to Lottie.

And one step further from Harry.

_______________________________

My eyelids are heavy as I drive through the dark night, struggling to stay awake. The lines on the highway are starting to hypnotize me, quickly passing by in perfect timing with the car.

I have been driving for almost an hour now, but I know that I still have a lot more distance to cover. I reach over and turn on the radio in an attempt to keep myself awake. I plug the aux card into my phone and hit shuffle, sitting back in my seat and repositioning my hands on the steering wheel. The intro to How to Save a Life by The Fray begins to fill the car with the sweet sounds of a delicate piano piece. I sniffle, realizing just how appropriate the song is for the situation I am currently in. I reach up and wipe my eyes, wincing at the harsh touch against my tear-burned skin.

My heart aches miserably as I realize how much I truly rely on Harry for everything. Over the past couple of weeks, Harry has become my rock. He is the person who keeps me stable, keeps me safe, and keeps me sane. He is always there to comfort me when I am having a difficult time or problem in my life. He's not only there for moral support, but he also does everything in his ability to fix the problem.

But not this time.

Out of my own decisions, I decided to take matters into my own hands. And I am beginning to question if I am doing the right thing. As of right now, all I know is that I am one hour away from my soul mate and my heart is hurting with an overwhelming urge to turn back around.

Just as the song comes to an end, I swallow a cry, taking a deep breath in through my nose and out through my mouth. I glance over at the passenger side of the car, reaching over and laying a shaky hand on the soft fabric of the seat. My fingertips caress the seat, so badly wishing that Harry was here with me. I feel as if I could cry more, but I have cried myself dry. The emotions are there, but the tears will not surface, only making this drive more painful than it already is.