Chapter 3 - Silence Is Deadly

I walk into the squad room after a lonely car ride. It's dead silent. Normally I'm greeted by Tony, Ziva, and McGee carrying on a conversation... But obviously with rule 12 reinforced that won't be happening much anymore.

"Good morning." I say. Nothing. They all rest their heads on their hands. "Guys. I know Tony and Ziva aren't allowed to speak to each other while at work, but we can't let this tear our team apart."

"You know, you and McGee get it easy. You don't work in the same part of the building as your husband or wife. It's not as easy for you to talk to each other. Now Ziva and I? We sit right across the room of each other, forced to stare at one another, not able to talk. This is possibly the worst thing Gibbs has ever done!" Tony rants.

"What is the worst thing I've ever done, DiNozzo?" Gibbs asks, walking through the bullpen. I sit in my desk and embrace the silence. Not even Gibbs tries to break it.

"Alright, Tony and Ashton head out to the navy yard and see if you can get any information on our missing seaman." Gibbs says about an hour later.

***

"Hey... You haven't said anything this whole time. Are you alright?" I ask.

"No. I'm pretty pissed. I don't know what to do. Ziva hasn't talked to me all day. And that is killing me." Tony says.

"Tony. I've never seen you so worked up. We need to do something about this and soon. This is going to tear you and Ziva apart."

"Exactly! If we can't talk about cases we sure won't have much to talk about. I just... Just wish that he never changed the rule in the first place. If he hadn't none of us would be in this position."

"No, we wouldn't. But Tony, if he didn't change it we would all be hopelessly in love with someone we could never have." I say. He doesn't respond. We pull into the NCIS parking lot and start to head up to the squad room. Before we get to the floor Tony flips the switch in the elevator.

"Ashton. We need to fix this. But one of us can't do it on our own. We need to work together. All six of us."

"Definitely... I mean I... Never mind..." I drift off.

"What, Ashton?" Tony grabs my arm as I try to turn away.

"Well... My family of six will soon be a family of seven..." I sigh.

"Oh my god. Ashton if you..." He says as I nod my head. He pulls me into a hug and flips the switch. We let go once we hear the ding and step off the elevator, once again greeted by he threatening silence.