Chapter Five: "What Is Love?"

Following Drizella up the steps, he tried to keep his distance from her. Between his two stepsisters, he liked Drizella. They'd never really spoken to each other growing up, but she had never mistreated him or called him names. He often wondered if the Drizella came from a different mother than Anastasia. The Baron was never particularly mean to her, but he didn't seem to like her as much as Anastasia. It pained him to think that maybe she had been the disappointment until he entered the family. Just as she reached the top of the steps, she stopped and asked him very softly. "Matthew? Can you help me...?" Nodding to her, he followed her into her bedroom. Moving to the center of the room, she tossed her bag on the bed and sniffled out. "Close the door. Then... Can you unlace my corset? Please?" Closing the door, he slowly made his way up to her a bit nervously. Usually, the sisters helped each other unlace their dresses, or they called Maisy to help them. She pulled her long dark hair over her shoulder and out of his way. Taking a silent deep breath, he began unlacing it. Every fiber of his being wanted to ask her so many questions, but he kept his mouth shut.

As he worked though, Drizella suddenly asked him over her shoulder. "Matthew? Can you... be honest with me?" Smiling just a little, he told her warmly. "Of course." Turning slightly, she avoided his eyes but asked in a choked voice. "Do you... Do you think I look... pretty?" Tears brimmed her eyes, but she tried to hide them as she looked everywhere except at him. Stopping what he was doing, he looked her over. She was a little on the hefty side with rounder features, but her eyes were a soft puppy brown. Smiling, he reached out to touch her chin without thinking to turn head to look at him. When her eyes met his, he told her honestly. "You are more than just a pretty face, Drizella. But honestly... I think you're pretty." A tear ran down her cheek, when she asked him in a broken voice. "You're not just saying that are you?" Blushing a little, he truthfully mumbled out. "Even if someone was really awful looking, I don't think I'd have the heart to tell them... but this isn't one of those times. There is nothing wrong with you, Drizella." Pulling out a handkerchief, she dabbed at her watery eyes, upon mumbling back. "Dad, thinks so. He... He called me a cow. Said that I would be the hardest to marry off because..." She couldn't finish and burst into tears.

Taking her hands and leading her to a chair, he coaxed her to sit down. Holding her hands in his, he kneeled before her and told her comfortingly. "Hey, don't cry. Maybe you will be the hardest, but I'm sure your marriage will be far more meaningful than anyone he matches up with Anastasia. You have so much more personality and heart. One day, you're going to find a man that sees that, and he'll make you feel like the prettiest woman in the world." Drizella wiped her nose in the handkerchief, uttering out grimly. "Sure... prettiest cow maybe." Matthew shrugged, telling her gently. "What's so wrong with that? Have you seen cows? They have the biggest eyes, and they are hardy animals. Some are even more cuddly than dogs." She stared at him in slight disbelief, prompting him to smile as he told her quickly. "What I'm trying to say is that there is nothing wrong with being different. My mom used to say that animals come in all shapes and sizes. You may not fit in with the cats. But you wouldn't expect a mouse to fit in with them. However, mice get along with just about every other barn animal. So... you just have to find a group of people that don't mind how you look and think."

He let go of her hands and started to get up, when she softly said. "I miss your mother. She was... I don't remember my own mother. Anastasia's mother ignored me... but your mom. She never made me feel left out." Turning away a little, Matthew tried to keep himself composed as he told her nicely. "I know my mom liked you. She always wanted a little girl. You let her have that." Returning a small smile to him, she got up and turned to let him finish unlacing the dress and corset. As it loosened, she took in deep gasps of air. He was surprised she could breathe at all with how tightly it had been laced up. Once it was undone enough for her, he quickly crossed over to the bed to retrieve her robe. Bringing it back to her, he held it up and closed his eyes. Slipping from her dress, she slipped on her night dress and then stepped into the robe. Just as she was tying it, the Baron yelled out. "Matthew?!" Wincing, he headed for the door but stopped as Drizella called his name in a soft loving voice. Biting her lip, she played with her long hair as she told him nicely. "Thank you, Matt." Bowing his head to her, he gave her a warm smile before rushing off down the hallway.