A Bartender's Word

(This takes place before What a Reunion, it's the same Milo)

     "Hey. Adrian, can I ask you something?"

     "Of course. What's on your mind?"

     "If you had just met me today, do you think you'd still be my friend? Be honest."
     Adrian glanced up at his friend, before setting down the glass he had been cleaning. No one is coming in this late anyway. He thought for a moment, unsure of how to answer. He looked at Milo, who's blank face showed no real indication of his thoughts. Adrian shrugged.
     "I don't know, tough question to answer."
Milo laughed a little, half heartedly, at the response.
     "It's okay if the answer is no dude," Milo said. "I wouldn't hold it against you."
     Adrian straightened his posture, a little bemused by Milo's response.
     "I didn't mean it like that. You're still as funny as when I first met you and you're still kind enough to stand up for the other people around here. Albeit it doesn't turn out well for you often."
     Milo chuckled at Adrian's little jab. Shrugging in acknowledgment.
     Adrian tapped the table lightly with his finger, thinking. The dim light of the bar reflected off the glass on the counter. Adrian spoke.
     "Why'd you ask?"
Milo tilted his head slightly, confused. Adrian shifted.
"It seems like an out of the blue question, coming from you. I wanted some context if you're willing. What prompted you to ask?" Adrian said, a bit quiet.
"Ah." Milo nervously scratched the back of his neck. Quiet filled the bar while he tried to figure out what to say.
"In a few days I don't think I'll be here. If Levi, or Oscar, or any of those guys come asking where I am, could you promise me that you'll tell them I'm sorry?"
Dread creeped in. Adrian had froze upon hearing this, it felt like his stomach sunk.
"What.. exactly, are you planning to do?" It came out a stammer, but with Adrian's head spinning the way it was, it was all he could manage. Milo didn't respond, only reiterated.
"Can you please promise me that?"
"Are you going to be okay? What are you planning!?" A few tears hit the table.

"Please, tell them that-"
"Milo are you going to be okay? Please tell me that you are I-"

"Adrian."

Adrian looked up, tears still falling. Milo looked like he was on the verge of tears as well, but his face still held a sense of calm. Almost as if what were to happen next were inevitable, impossible to avoid. Adrian sighed shakily, regaining his composure.
"I don't think I can stop you. No matter what I do."
"I'm afraid nothing could at this point man."
Adrian nodded slightly, wiping his eyes with his arm, before letting it drop back to the bar. The outside chatter from the streets could be heard, it felt much too loud.
"You have my word. I promise you I will tell them what you said." Adrian said, grimly.
"Thank you. And, I know this isn't much," Milo stood, fishing around in his pocket as he spoke. "but it's all I have left on me, I hope you'll accept it." With that he set a quite large bill on the bar, and stood up. As he opened the door he paused.
"And thank you again. For everything."
Adrian couldn't help but feel his heart sink watching his friend wave as he left. He tried to clean the bar but he couldn't think straight. He was terrified. Who wouldn't be? Eventually he gave up and closed the bar for the night, deciding to try and sleep it off. He found himself tossing and turning all night.

     Over the next few days, people came by asking. Friends, acquaintances, coworkers. Each one reacted to the response with a face of dread. No doubt similar to the face Adrian himself had made that night. He could barely handle when Cosmo, a glowing sea bunny he'd never even heard talk before now, crumbled into broken sobs over the news. Each one stung, and the bar TV didn't help. News briefs and shows always seemed to remind him. He even feels like he saw him there on TV again, once. It always felt a little quieter without him. No doubt a little lonelier. Eventually, people stopped asking. Adrian never stopped thinking, though. Always wondering what exactly took place after he left. Wondering if he could've changed it, what led up to it. He wanted to feel relieved he wasn't reminded every day of it, but he found himself bitter as the news moved on to the next story. Like the whole world forgot him.

    But, at least, the bar never forgot. Regulars stepped up to fill the gap and stand up for people just like Milo always did. Oscar started to play one or two of his songs, mentioning how often Milo would say the bar would love it(which they did). Rat came in less and less now that he was gone, but when she was here she'd tell strange tales and stories Milo had shared over the years. No matter how small the crowd, someone remembered him. Adrian knew now, that even if Milo were to have walked through that door right now, they would've been friends. He only wished he could've told him that.