Prologue: Mukomana and Mhondoro (Boy and Lion)

August 3rd, 1982, in Zimbabwe Africa, there was a town now called Hwange. Formerly, Hwange was called Wankie and was recently changed. Here is where Malakai Sekayi, name meaning messenger from God, a 11 year old boy grew up. He lived with his baba (father), Manondo Sekayi, name meaning seedlings. Manondo was the munin'ina (younger brother) of the town's chief and was a pottery maker. Hwange Zimbabwe was known for their art in carving, pottery, basketry, jewelry, and textiles.
Malakai's amai (mother), was renowned for her skilled basketry. She and Manondo would coordinate their individual jobs, in order to make their pots and baskets match. Often making them for newly wedded couples and those who would love some correlation in their home setting. At age eleven, Malakai decided to take up one of these things a year early. He technically didn't need to decide until he turned twelve, but he figured his baba (father) needed help. Seeing as his mother was no longer there, killed by a misfire on a lion, Malakai thought it better to learn from his baba. He actually really liked it, as it was a way to express himself and his creative side. The feel of the smooth wetness that cooled him down in the hot, sunny weather. There was this sense of accomplishment when he gets something right. His baba said he was learning swiftly and that his work was tastefull and fitting.
All except the one he just made. He had just made a small hadyana round pot. He made it his own by doing something he had never seen on any other pot before. It had a lion head as the lid, Lion paws in the front, however when the lion's hind paws should have been there were human feet. There was also fingerprints purposefully carved on the lions face as if it had just been pet like a dog, with a hand just peaking out from its mane. His baba hadn't thought it as too shabby, for he had asked. "Huh..." Manondo sighed. "I just think it will not be taken well by the rest of Hwange." He looked at Malakai with a sad look. "What do you mean?" His little mukomana (boy) asked.
"I mean everyone here does not accept lions. They hate them. No customer would take it, if it symbolizes kinship with a lion." His baba furrowed his brows before quickly shaking his head. Malakai was not able to tell if that look had been worry, or anger. "Yes baba. But what if we just keep this one? I would like it. I made it." Malakai gave his best smile, one that he knew would have an effect on his baba.
"Hmm-" Manondo paused before saying no. Looking at his only mwanakomana (son), he knew he was like no other. He had such brilliance, yet such a trusting, caring heart. Unlike other kids, and so many adults, including himself, he held no fear of lions. Possibly, it could be seen a foolish and naive, but that was it, his son was naive. He had not experienced a lion attack. Only that he was not allowed out when they have been spotted over the wall, like the other children weren't. Not to mention that night, with his amai. She was shot by a poacher, yes, however it was still due to a lion being in the area.
Personally he did not want even a fake lion in his home. However his mwanakomana (son) had made this, and he had to admit, it was beautifully done. It was unrealistic, but it was not an image of a ferocious lion on that tiny pot, but a calm lion that was connected to a human being. "Fine, but please no more lions. Anything else is fine, Malakai." He stooped low to pat his mwanakomana's head. "Yes, baba." Malakai jumped out of the bench seat, with a little "Yay, you hear that Makhosi, I get to keep you." and quickly got wrapper to keep his pot from drying too quickly before it got bisque. "Huh, I really need to get that Mukomana (boy) some friends."

    Nearly 8 square miles away from the town of Hwange lived a pride of lions. They were called the Hami Pride, after their king. Just as his name depicts, King Elio Hami looks like the sun. His light tanned mane had blazing golden highlights; his luminous reddish golden brown eyes were warm, yet they can pierce through soul so tender. As most prides, he was the defender against any rogue lions and helps with big, big hunts. He was actually one of the best defenders this pride had ever seen and they love him very much.
However, there was just one problem. This pride's fierce defender was no where to be seen. Mutombe Hami, the queen had been peering into the distance for her murume (mate). He was late. They had previously discussed that he would return from his patrol in three sun highs time.
Looking to Wonai the Shaman of Ishi, also second to both the king and queen. Mutombe could see distress in the skinny lioness. The black tip of her reddish tanned tail twitched as she looked up at the sky. Wonai's ears flattened and her navy grey eyes widened as if she's seen a ghost. "What is the matter Wonai?" Mutombe  asked. "My queen, the sun has darkened. Danger lurks behind the high stone."

🦁 Here is an image of the town's guard wall that I drew.