𝟎𝟐 where'd all the time go

( where'd all the time go? ── dr. dog )

❛ and you know i get so forgetful
when i look in your eyes ❜

the moment they pulled up to the summer house sadie felt like throwing up

the moment they pulled up to the summer house sadie felt like throwing up. it looked the same, it smelled the same, yet it felt completely different. the sisters shared a look, seeking comfort in one another. with a deep breath, piper honked the horn of their car to signal to everyone that they have arrived. the loud sound rang through the air, disturbing the peace that surrounded the place.

the two girls exited the car and the first person to greet them was susannah, "oh, my beautiful girls!" the woman cooed hugging them both. it was one of those strong motherly hugs. both girls let out a sigh of relief. at that moment they felt like kids again. at that moment the weight that they've been carrying around on their chest was lifted. the hug provided them with a bubble of comfort, the kind of comfort that was long forgotten by both.

"oh my god! sadie! piper!" the familiar voice of belly crashed the moment. susannah let go, she sent them a smile and backed away to let the kids greet them. as soon as susannah let go, belly imbraced them in a big hug. the girl had changed over the past few summers since sadie last saw her. she no longer had braces and glass, she was turning into quite a young woman. "i'm so sorry!" belly apologized once she realized that she was completely wet.

"has the infamous belly flop happened already?" piper took an educated guess, attempting to ruffle belly's wet hair. the girl grimaced and sent a look twords the boys, who were approaching,"yep. no matter how old they get, some things always stay the same."

"look what the cat dragged in . . ." steven was the first to speak once they reached them. piper smiled from ear to ear, one of those genuine smiles sadie hasn't seen in a while on her sister's face. the pair embraced in a hug.

"it's been a long long time . . ." jeremiah smiled broadly, hugging sadie. she hugged back. they exchanged a few words and then switched with jeremiah greeting piper and steven greeting sadie.

"we missed you guys a lot," piper told the two boys, a small sad smile on her lips. "we missed you guys too," steven tilted his head a little and smiled. they burst into laughter, they weren't even sure what was so funny. they laughed so much that tears prickled in the girls' eyes. the tears were happy tears, sadie decided for herself. she missed that place as much as she dreaded coming to the summer house. she missed the way that place made her feel.

sadie decided that the summer house provided comfort. she decided that coming to the summer house was a way to completely heal, not reopen old wounds and put salt on them.

"it hasn't been the same without you," it was conrad who spoke from behind the two other boys. he was completely wet, much like belly. piper hid her suggestive smile while sadie openly raised an eyebrow at the pair. was belly's summer wish finally coming true? it really would be a plot twist if conrad felt the same for belly after all that time.

sadie still remembered the summer that belly told the sisters about her crush on conrad. it happened almost five summers ago. that night the boys went to the boardwalk and the mothers had a wine night, leaving the girls to themselves.

belly took them to the beach and declared a circle of trust; what was said in the circle, stays in the circle. the girl built up the moment, saying everything except what she wanted to say. the anxiety sadie felt at that moment made her stomach flip upside down. she was a little scared, she wasn't sure what was going to come out of belly's mouth, but when the girl finally admitted, sadie smiled and admitted that she already had a sneaking suspicion.

the words sent belly into a frenzy. at that moment she was convinced that not just conrad but jeremiah and steven knew too. piper fast reassured her that boys were stupid and naive, they couldn't figure out a girl likes time if the fact hit them right in the face.

that night the girls revealed a lot of things. piper admitted that she had a crush on steven when they were nine, to which both sadie and belly fake gaged. the oldest girl also told them about a girl in school she liked and about the first kiss they shared.

sadie admitted that she liked jeremiah, which came as a shock to belly while piper already knew. well, she didn't really know, she was just pretty sure. the girls spent the rest of the night giggling and imagining fake scenarios about their crushes and what the future might hold.

sadie missed those times. she missed the times when they were just kids, talking about kid stuff, doing kid stuff. those were truly the best years, and she might have taken them for granted.

"it's good to have you back girls," the last one to greet them was laurel. her dark hair hasn't changed a day. she hugged them tightly. "it's good to be back."

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ⎯⎯ㅤㅤNESSA'S NOTES!
hi! so i realized that the names parker & quinn just didn't fit the vibe i was going for and after much thought i decided to change them to piper & sadie. idk those names just seemed to fit better. i hope you don't mind.

while i'm here just wanted to thank everyone for the amazing feed back. all the votes and comments have been overwhelming. thank you so much it means the literal world to me that you guys like this book so much considering it's only the beginning.

i'll see you tomorrow with a new chapter, mwah!