Fitz explained the rules of base quest to Sophie, who listened intently and asked a question once or twice.

"Light leaping isn't allowed, but special abilities can be used," Fitz added, looking right at Sophie for some reason. Special abilities, huh? Though Empathy wasn't as good as vanishing for Base Quest, he could feel Foster's emotions and trace it back to where she was, so that would be useful.

"That's not fair. Sophie and I don't have . . ." Biana's voice trailed off when Fitz shot her a warning look. "Fine. But you guys have to quest first."

***************

Fitz and Keefe decided the lake was the best place to start, since it was wide open and if Biana or Sophie found them, they could rely on just running fast instead of dodging obstacles. It also gave a clear path to the tree Biana and Sophie had chosen as their base.

Keefe stepped through the forest and accidentally stepped on a branch. Fitz glared at him.

"Sorry, sorry!" Keefe apologized.

"Shush!" Fitz scolded. This was beginning to feel like the library incident all over again.

Fitz spotted Biana standing by a bush with pink flowers. He looked back at Keefe and put a finger to his lips. Then he pointed to Biana and moved his hand around, meaning to say to go around her.

Fitz went first since he was quieter and Keefe followed, trying his best not to step on fallen leaves or branches.

They were closing in on the base and there was no sign of Sophie anywhere. She must be guarding it. They were about to step out of the forest and closer to the base when all of a sudden, a hand gripped Keefe's arm.

Both Keefe and Fitz stared at her. How did she do that? She ran straight into them, like she knew where they were instinctively. There's no way that was possible, the way she had run straight to them.

"How did you do that?" Keefe demanded. "You ran straight to us, like you knew where we were."

"I"—she paused, uncertainly, and was probably thinking of a good excuse—"heard you."

Wow, she was worse at lying than she looked. Actually, she looked like she was terrible at lying, so that made sense.

"Heard us how?" Keefe cocked his head, glancing at her hand on his arm, then back at her. She was definitely lying because her emotions felt super strong when he made skin contact, and he could tell she was hiding something. "Hiding something, Foster?"

"She probably heard you crashing through the bushes like a sasquatch," Fitz said, coming to her rescue. "I think the whole world did."

Nope. Impossible. "No, I don't think that's what it is."

"You're just mad because you lost," Biana teased, catching up with them. "I can't believe Sophie tagged you both on her own—she can be my base quest partner anytime." She grinned, and Sophie smiled back at her.

How had Sophie done that? This was the second time something weird had happened around her, and it's not including the fact that Keefe can feel her emotions without contact.

"Do my eyes deceive me, or is that Sophie Foster?" Alden asked behind them.

"We've missed you around here," Della added, rushing over and wrapping Sophie up in her arms.

Sophie hugged back, and Keefe felt a knot of homesickness and relief from her. Well, looks like she has already met the Great Alden and Della Vacker. No one can resist their...Ok Keefe didn't actually know the word, but a word for "giving a sense of home and happiness and stuff".

When he got closer though, he smelled something like smoke on their clothes. "Whoa, you smell like smoke. Is there a fire?" Sophie asked.

Della glanced at Alden as she pulled out of the hug, backing a few steps away.

Alden cleared his throat. "Just something we're looking into. No reason to worry."

Keefe smirked. Looks like Sophie was learning about Alden's favorite words.

Keefe felt like there was something more about these fires that some people knew about more than others, and he and Biana were definitely more confused than Sophie and Fitz.

"So, what are you guys up to?" Della asked.

"Getting stomped in base quest," Keefe grumbled. "You should've seen it —Sophie tagged us out like she knew where we were."

Alden glanced at Fitz—who gave the slightest nod—before he grinned at Keefe. "Sounds like someone's not happy about losing."

That was weird. Did they know how she did it?

"I'd just like to know how she did it, but she insists on being all mysterious." Keefe narrowed his eyes at Sophie. "She still hasn't explained how she slammed Fitz into the wall yesterday."

Sophie flushed, and looked at Alden. "Fitz said he was going to talk to you about that," she said quietly. "Any theories?"

"None that makes any sense," Alden admitted.

A second of silence passed, but then Della decided to break the silence. "Besides, we girls never reveal our secrets. How else can we keep you boys on your toes? So, who's staying for dinner?" She glanced at Sophie.

"Sorry. I told Edaline I'd be home. Maybe next time." Sophie flushed.. again. How does this girl do this?

Biana smiled. "Sounds good."

"Do you need to use the Leapmaster?" Alden asked.

"No, Grady and Edaline gave me a home crystal." She held up a long silver chain that hung to her waist.

So she's staying with Grady and Edaline. They shut themselves off from the outside world for a decade and a half, so if they adopt Sophie, it's a pretty big thing. Maybe Sophie can talk some sense into them so maybe they won't be hiding away forever.

"Don't stay away too long this time," Alden told her. "We've missed you around here."

"I've missed you guys too. I'll see you soon." She disappeared in a second, leaving only Keefe, Fitz, Biana, Alden, and Della.

"Let's go inside for dinner." Della said. "Me and the gnomes cooked up a feast and there's no way we could finish without you, Keefe."

So uh.. hi?

I did the math and when this ends it will have at least 35 chapters, not including extra stuff

~Zara