"You know I'm not." He replied though, earnestly, his eyes intense.

I nodded slowly, laughing lightly as I patted his chest. "Alright. Good." It was strange how odd it felt to talk to him in public. I felt somewhat bound in tape.

"Max..." He opened the door in a hurry.

But just before the door was opened all the way and I could step forward his father stepped in behind us.

I knew he was there before he said anything. If there was one thing I understood when it came to wolves it was reacting to someone's presence. Like Lowell, there was something very weighty about the atmosphere around that man, a heavy oppressive feeling, and that paired with the type of footstep and the way the people moved out of the way when he approached in a kind of perfect unison made it relatively obvious when he got close.

"Damn..." Lowell muttered under his breath.

He turned around. "Father." He addressed him flatly.

Relationship not all repaired I could see.

Griffith stepped forward and folded his arms. "Off to work?" He directed the question toward me and ignored his son.

He had a smile on his lips, but a certain dark edge in his eyes. 

There was a shrewd look to his eyes, a face that could transform from mean to kind in an instant, and at the moment it seemed to be publicly presenting as kind. It was more uncomfortable to look at that version of his father than any other, knowing that if I stepped wrong he would immediately sharpen his blades, or fangs or whatever werewolves used to murder their son's boyfriends.

I stepped back a small step by accident, it really was one, I did not enjoy giving way with this man, but the slight gesture of uneasiness seemingly drew a smile from him, which I suppose was our intention.

"Yes..." I responded after a moment, remembering what he asked me.

Lowell nudged me.

I frowned at Lowell, then remembered. "Ah," I looked back at him. "Yes, Alpha Griffith."

He nodded slowly. "You're returning tonight. Do not get back past ten without permission."

It took a lot in me not to question the patronising wording but I held it back and smiled out of pain. "Right." I watched him glance around the room at our onlookers and they somewhat mournfully bustled away, back where they came from, the slight murmur of conversation growing the further away from us they got.

"I have to ask you?" I frowned. "That's, ah," The way Griffith looked at me I wasn't sure if I was even allowed to reply. "Somewhat inconvenient, I often go to meet my colleagues after work."

I thought the question was fair, but I rarely ever met my colleagues after work, only I felt it necessary not to miss dinner with my friends before they decided to make an emergency home visit to see if I was still living, and I really needed to find out how James was doing. 

Griffith cocked his head and Lowell laughed under his breath. "You'll be asking Lowell for permission, not me."

"Oh..." I frowned. "Well that seems more sensible."

His eyes were still trained on, a slight glare to them. "Your mate is your master, don't forget that."

I frowned inwardly but ideally showed nothing on my face.

Lowell's expression was blank but I could feel the need to cringe in the air around him. He nudged me and I returned to earth. 

"Yes father." I responded, the way he'd told me to whenever his father imparted some sort of unquestionably wise knowledge on me.