35

35

🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕

bill checks the total on the cash register, and when he sees that it reads $3.47, he pats down the pockets of his wrinkled jeans, looking for the change that he's sure he left in them. it takes him a few moments, and his cheeks go red in embarrassment as the cashier waits patiently for his payment. he eventually finds the coins he'd been searching for, and he counts out three dollars and forty seven cents, handing it over with an internal sigh of relief.

as soon as he pays, the barista hands his coffee over, and he gratefully accepts the warm beverage, glad to have something to combat the chilly wind outside for his walk home. but before he can make it out the door into the cool friday afternoon air, something catches his eye in the corner of the shop.

or, more accurately, someone.

"stanley?" bill asks, making his way over to the corner table, where stanley had laid his schoolbooks out, his laptop off to one side and notebook in front of him.

stanley looks up upon hearing his name, and it's clear in his expression that he's surprised by the sudden company as bill approaches. "oh. hi, william."

"bill," bill corrects, out of habit mostly. and then, motioning to the table, "can i join you?"

stanley doesn't say anything in response, but he nods, and he moves around a few of his belongings to make room on the table for the football player.

"thanks," bill slides into the booth across from the curly haired boy, a cheeky smile on his face as he sets his cup down in front of him. "so, what are you doing here, anyway?"

at the question, stanley appears a bit uncomfortable, or maybe it's just that he's sheepish, and he shifts in his seat before answering, "just catching up on some schoolwork."

bill narrows his eyes suspiciously, clearly not believing a word that he's hearing, and he counters, "unlikely. you never get behind on schoolwork."

"well, maybe tutoring you has given me less time for my own studies," stanley retorts, and the sass that is evident in his tone makes bill crack an amused smile.

"no," bill says after a moment of contemplation, and he wears a look of intrigue as he continues, "i don't buy it. you're stanley uris, you'd never let that happen. so why are you here, really?"

the two boys make direct eye contact, and it becomes a sort of staring contest, each daring the other to back down first. stanley finally sighs, giving in. "okay, fine. i'm trying to get ahead on my work. i told my dad i'd be reworking my college essay all day tomorrow at the library, but i'm actually going out of town, so i just wanted to get it started tonight, instead."

"lying to your dad, stanley? i never would've expected that from you," bill teases, peering across the table at the notebook in front of stan, who then immediately covers the paper. bill chuckles quietly at this before looking back up to study stanley's face. "and going out of town? what's out of town?"

stanley avoids eye contact, and the redness in his cheeks intensifies as he shakes his head. "nothing special."

"well, now, that can't be true," bill objects, and a sly smirk pulls at the corners of his pink lips. he raises his eyebrows, taking a slow sip of his coffee as he waits for a response, and when he doesn't get one, he continues, "if you're lying about your whereabouts and leaving town for it, it's got to be special."

stanley stares at bill for a moment, wondering if the boy ever quits, and from the mischievous look in his eyes, he can tell that it's unlikely. eventually, he just sighs and says, "okay, you're going to make fun of me, but there's a comic convention a few towns over that i've wanted to go to for a few years now, and i can go this time around."

stanley pauses after his explanation, waiting for a snicker or some mocking words, both of which are reactions that he's become accustomed to expecting when sharing his so-called 'nerdy' interests, but bill does neither of these things. in fact, he's completely silent for a second before he finally asks, "make fun of you? why would i make fun of you?"

stanley is clearly taken aback by this question, and he doesn't really know how to react, because he'd never received such a response before. he studies bill's face, curious, and he sees no sign of teasing anymore. so he relaxes a bit, composing himself before offering a tiny smile. "never mind. no reason at all."

🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕

hehe