Act 2 ·The Lily· Chapter 18 - Weeping Willow

Start from the beginning

"Sorry for the waiting," he managed to say. "I didn't mean to ignore you two."

"Don't mention it," Cassidy dismissed immediately, maybe a bit too quickly. "Maybe you would like some water? We asked, and we can drink from the lake. It's pretty nice," the filly suggested, eager to help.

Dianthus nodded and let them lead the way.

The surface of the water was still and clear as glass and offered a pristine reflection. Another unicorn gazed back at him, his mane shaggy, his fur fuzzy and splotched with ash, ears low and bloodshot eyes, still damp from weeping. What a pitiful sight. His first instinct was to turn back, curl into a ball and feel sorry for himself for another couple of hours. He sighed deeply and craned his neck to the water.

The unicorn's muzzle lingered a few moments before diving into the water. It turned out that water was not only good-looking: it was the freshest and the sweetest water he had ever tasted, and despite himself, it did make him feel a little bit better. He didn't want to feel better. A part of him argued that he didn't deserve it. Still, the thirst won, and he drank, savoring the taste and the soothing sensation blooming within. He needed that.

"You were right," he told Cassidy once finished. "It is pretty nice."

"I know, right? The grass, too, is better here!"

Dianthus shot a glace to the emerald green grass; every blade looked so perfect that even carnivores would give it a try, but the knot forming in the pit of his stomach forbade Dianthus to concede himself the smallest bite. He looked away.

"'Course it's good," Birch spoke up, snapping Dianthus' attention up again. "You haven't stomped on it yet!" He said to Cassidy.

Cassidy put on her most indignant face and ruffled her feathers with exaggerated emphasis.

Dianthus watched the two, blinking slowly. Really, guys? Now, of all times?

"Always the gentlestag, you!" Cassidy pouted.

"You know, courtesy is reserved for ladies..."

"The outrage!" the 'lady' protested in a shrill voice.

The stag put on his trademark smirk and continued, "My sentiments exactly: your peeping voice is really an outrage to our ears."

At that, Cassidy stuck her muzzle into the air with a loud "Arrumph!" fanning her wings and tail feathers like the most offended peahen.

Dianthus couldn't help but laugh at her display. The unicorn suspected that the hopeless charade had been planned out to lift his spirits, but little did it matter to him: it worked.

Thalia observed the three from a distance, a soft smile graced her tired features, at seeing her foal laugh. They hadn't talked since their escape, not yet. They did not need to. They had just huddled together for most of the time, both isolated yet close in their state of shock reaction.

Now the night was falling, the other creatures had calmed down, and fatigue was overcoming fear. Even Dianthus, who had slept through most of the day, eventually walked up to his mother with his pegasus friend. Birch, instead, left to join his herd. The unicorn mare smiled as her foal got closer, welcoming him to sit with her.

"Dianthus, dearest," she purred softly.

Dianthus offered a small smile of his own in return and curled up against her side.

"Cassiopea, wait," Thalia called the leaving pegasus who turned in attention. "Tomorrow I will call for your parents to come here...the emergency has passed," she said. "Would you like to stay with us, tonight?"