Chapter 39 - Song of the Bluebird

Once again, silence spoke louder than a thousand words.

Birch gaped a few times, unable to utter a sound. He didn't know the first thing about magic, but dark magic wasn't a synonym of good things in sight. Dianthus himself was reconsidering his decision. Dianthus, you idiot, you don't know the first thing about that crazy, super risky spell that left even your very powerful father debilitated, he chided himself. You could mess with your sister's head for good, he added in his mind. She's already messed up, another part of him reminded.

"Dianthus," it was Cassidy. "You sure about this? Your father...well...what if the spell backfires on you?"

"No, I'm not sure about this," Dianthus confessed. "But I must try something before Leirion is lost forever, and this is the only folly that has come to my mind." Thus saying, he faced his sister again and offered her a small smile.

"Time to wake up, sister. You slept enough."

Like many things that had happened to him recently, Dianthus couldn't explain how he knew exactly what to do when he started the spell. It was a little frustrating, leaning on pure instinct like that, but perhaps that was how it was done, at least for him. His parents had always called him a natural, and according to Wisp, Dianthus did gain more strength in his journey, both from his own experiences and those of his sister.

Closing his eyes, Dianthus retraced with his mind's eye all the adventures he and his friends had lived together from the last to the very first; sure, some of them he'd rather forget but no, they were still essential memories and significant stages of his path and, despite himself, he wouldn't trade them for anything else.

Now they were here, still together, for the final act of the journey; one little effort more and they were done, Leirion was saved, and they could all go home.

But... The images in his mind stopped for a moment on their latest acquaintance. What will become of Wisp? Condemned to roam these planes alone all over again, bringing havoc and misery because it cannot know any better? Dianthus recalled the words of the dragon and smiled to himself. Maybe he was right...maybe unicorns are too kind-hearted.

Dianthus couldn't see them, but dark jolts of magic had appeared, swirling around his horn. Cassidy and Birch witnessed the scene, cringing in apprehension when Dianthus crossed his horn with Leirion's. The magic of the two unicorn siblings reacted, a jolt sparkled between their horns, and they both recoiled instinctively.

But Dianthus knew it was enough. Every part of his head hurt. His horn mostly, his eyes, his ears...he wanted to slam his face in a wall right about now. Too bad there were none. He hoped it'd worked because he couldn't recall anything of Leirion's memories, which had left him like dreams in the morning. Leirion looked dizzy but alright. A little confused maybe, but alright.

"W...where am I?" she asked, looking at her surroundings. "The Dreamworld?"

Thank you...thank you, thank you. Dianthus didn't know who he was thanking, but little did it matter. He could tell Leirion was bright and alert again; he could see it in her eyes, so like their mother's. He pushed his headache away and answered Leirion, "You lost your memories, Leirion, and ended up here for many, many years now."

Leirion eyed him with curiosity. "You...who are you? You..." She shortened the distance between them, and Dianthus offered a tired smile as he saw the gleam of acknowledgment in her eyes again.

"You remind me of Father..."

Dianthus' smile grew wider. "I'm your brother Dianthus."

Leirion's ears perked up, a smile appearing on her muzzle. "My brother? I have a brother?"

The raven-maned sibling grinned and mocked a bow.

"Our parents have been waiting for your awakening for so long, dear sister. You should really go now. They'll explain everything to you in due time." Dianthus' gaze lingered on Cassidy and Birch a little longer, and they noticed.

Exchanging a quick glance with Cassidy, Birch stepped forward. "Dianthus...you meant 'we' will explain...right?"

It took Dianthus one too many moments to answer, and Cassidy perceived every fragment of it like an icy claw through her feathers.

"No," Dianthus said at last. "I meant you and Cassidy. I'm taking Wisp home first."

That time, even Wisp was taken aback, incredulous.

"W-what are you saying?" Cassidy let out a short, nervous laugh. "We are done here, time to go home. Everyone, together."

"Yeah, everyone," Dianthus took a breath. "I can't leave Wisp like this...it'll never find the right path alone."

Cassidy didn't hesitate a moment. "Then I'll come with you!"

The pathfinder shook his head slowly. "You can't. Don't you see? You two are starting to fade."

Cassidy and Birch looked at each other; they were slowly growing dimmer and dimmer.

"What is happening?!" Cassidy's voice cracked with panic.

"It's like Wisp said, remember? You two are not dreamwalkers, and you can't just stroll about this dimension." Dianthus smiled sadly.

Unable to hold her tears any longer, Cassidy broke down. "No...no, this can't be happening...Dianthus, please...no..."

Dianthus lowered his gaze for a moment. It's like that day in the glade with Father...it seems so distant now. The unicorn stepped forth and closed the distance between him and the pegasus, pulling her in a tight embrace with his neck. His fur was soon dampened with Cassidy's tears, and he nuzzled her lovingly, making her calm down just a little.

"Dianthus..." Cassidy felt the magic tickle her feathers and looking down she saw Dianthus' pendant around her neck.

"Break it when you're out of here. It'll take you home safely, both of you," said Dianthus.

Cassidy stared at him, her leaf-green eyes filled to the brim with tears. "But why? You don't have to..." The uncertainty in her tone betrayed her guilt at speaking such words. "You might spend years just looking for the right path!" she cried. "You know why I couldn't even meet your gaze back at Bunyip's? Y-you almost died, I was scared, a-and I-I just wanted to tell you please let's go home, please, please, please..." Cassidy buried her face in the unicorn's chest fur once more.

Dianthus rested his chin on her head.

Cassidy sobbed quietly, "Why does it have to be like this?"

The unicorn caressed her cheek with affection, wiping away her tears. "Why?" he said. "Do you know why the bluebird sings?"

Cassidy froze as she allowed those words to sink in. Dianthus couldn't have given her a more crystalline answer. She hung her head and sobbed the response to the proverb.

"...I don't care...l-let it sing...'"

"Yeah...let it sing."

Dianthus hugged her close, probably for the last time. She was fading more and more.

"But h-how will you come back without the amethyst?"

"I'm a pathfinder. I'll find a way," Dianthus answered simply.

"W...what if you forget?" quivered Cassidy.

Slowly, Dianthus pulled away from the embrace and looked at her. "Forget you?" He smiled a little. "I thought you trusted me."

Cassidy stifled a pained laugh. "Y-yeah, I do...I do."

Dianthus nudged her cheek. "Will you wait for me?"

Cassidy looked up, meeting his forest-green eyes like home and managed a fragile smile.

"For as long as it takes."