🦁The Usurper From The Wilds🦁

Start from the beginning

"Man... If I can't be in the Spelldrive tournament, then what's even the point anymore?" He sadly said.

Grim huffed in annoyance and went to the conrner of the couch to sulk.

"Don't be so down Grim, I'm sure you'll be able to play someday." Mirana gave him an eye-closed smile.

"What's wrong, Grimmy? Something got ya down?" One of the ghosts said as he appeared beside the cat.

"He's sulking because he can't play in the Spelldrive tournament." The other ghost replied.

"If you wanna play Spelldrive that badly, why, we can play with ya! I was the team captain ninety years ago, y'know. The girls in the stands couldn't get enough of me!" One of them boasted with a proud look.

"Yeah, but wouldn't we need seven people?"

"Technically, it's not a real match." Enm said as he gestured for Grim to play with the ghosts.

"Good day, heading out to play some magift?" Before the four could go outside, Crowley suddenly appeared which startled the rest.

"Gah! Headmaster when did you get here?!" Ace exclaimed with a shocked expression.

"Oh? Mr. Spade, Mr. Trappola and Miss Moreal are here too? I'm pleased to see you're all getting along. Quite pleased indeed."

"What brings you here headmaster?" Mirana asked.

"I have a request for Mr. Yuuken and Grim. But since you're all here aswell, then I suppose you can lend them a hand." He turned to the three who held confused looks.

"Seriously? MORE requests? I ain't a part of your janitorial staff anymore, y'know!" Grim whined.

"Oh? You DO recall that I never promised to cover the living expenses you've been racking up, yes? Hard work can be a beautiful thing, Grim. I'm sure you agree, Mr. Yuuken."

"I don't seem to be in a position to disagree. Is that a threat...?" Enma sweatdropped.

"I'll get straight to the point. There has been a rash of students being hurt in suspicious incidents on campus lately. I'm here to ask you to investigate the matter." Crowley said tot he group.

"Suspicious incidents...?" Grim asked as Crowley nodded with a hand on his chin.

"Yes. Students falling down stairs, getting burns from boiling water, and so forth. The specifics of the incidents differ, but the nurse's office has had a clear spike in patients over the last few days. With yesterday's incident on the stairs, we now have ten wounded students. We're just fortunate that none of the injuries have been life-threatening...yet."

The "yet" didn't really seem to reassure the other's though.

"Ya sure it ain't just kids bein' clumsy?"

Crowley shook his head before replying, "I'm sure many of our students are too distracted by the upcoming tournament to focus properly. But this is far more accidents than we've had in the past years. Furthermore, all of the wounded students were considered contenders to make their dorms' teams."

"Oooh, NOW this is gettin' interesting." Grim said, now listening closely to the headmaster.

"Could someone be sabotaging other players so that they won't be able to compete in the tournament?" Mirana questioned which earned the attention of everyone.

"An excellent deduction, Miss Moreal. However, we have no evidence of foul play. All of the accidents happened in public spaces, and all of the witnesses said the same thing: "It looked like he was just being careless." "

"Sounds like they were just bein' careless, then. Case closed! Glad we could sort that out. Bye!"

"Not the most thorough of investigations, Grim.: Crowley deadpanned.

"But this has got nothin' to do with me! I can't even participate in your dumb tournament! So what do I care what happens?" Grim remarked with an annoyed huff and crossed arms.

"I'm sorry to hear that, especially after I'd prepared such a magnificent reward for you..." He faked a sad expression which Grim didn't buy.

"Ha! I ain't fallin' for that line again! I wouldn't do it even for a hundred cans of tuna!"

"But what if I allowed you to participate in the Magift tournament?"

Grim's ears perked up at his words, quickly turning to face Crowley with a wide smile. "REALLY?!"

"Should you solve the case, I'll generously permit your dorm to enter the Magift tournament. What do you say to that? Surely you're dazzled by my kindness?"

"Myah... Myahaha!" Grim happily snickered.

"As a participant, the whole world will lay eyes upon your majesty. Just imagine the cheers echoing from the sold-out stadium seats! "This year's most promising rookie, the mighty Grim, has taken the field! Hurrah!" And so on."

"Oh, man. It's like I can already taste it..." His eyes lit up.

"Ah, but of course, you have refused my offer. How unfortunate. Let's forget this ever happened." Crowley turned to leave before being stopped by Grim.

"No, wait! WAIT! I'm in! I'll do it!" He yelled quickly before the other could leave.

"What's that? You'll do it, you say?" Crowley smiled.

"If you'll let me into the tournament, you bet! Right?" He asked the other's, face full of hope.

"Let's catch the culprit and enter the tourney!" Enma nodded.

"Sure, I'll lend you a hand aswell." Mirana beamed, happy that Grim has now a chance to play at the official magift tournament.

"But hold on a sec. Don't they need seven players? What are you gonna do about that?" Ace asked the headmaster with a raised brow.

"As school headmaster, I will simply perform a magical miracle to fill out your team somehow." He answered, slightly unsure how to do it.

"We can work out the details later! C'mon, everyone, we got a crime to solve!"

"I am counting on you both." Crowley smiled before waving them a goodbye and leaving the dorm.

𝕋𝕠 𝕓𝕖 ℂ𝕠𝕟𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕦𝕖𝕕...