"Asher's downstairs!" She shouted, taking a bite of his hand. He cursed, loosening his grip as she stumbled her way downstairs.

Cecilie ran down to the porch, watching the horrific scene unfold. A group of wolves were fighting and her grandmother was loading the gun.

This couldn't be happening.

She could make out Asher in the crowd, his dark coat almost invisible against the dark forest. Despite the creature he had transformed into, Cecilie recognized those dark blue eyes immediately.

Asher was ganged up against several other wolves. Were those enemies?

Another wolf stood among the pack, turning so their gazes met. Cecilie recognized the ice blue eyes. Leo. It was Asher's brothers. But what were they doing to him?

Suddenly, Leo's eyes went cold. The sandpaper colored wolf ran toward her with a threatening look. Cecilie felt Tristan pull her behind him before the scream bubbled up in her throat.

A shot fired. Leo yelped, mid-air, crashing into the wooden structure beside them. Cecilie clutched onto the clothing on Tristan's back, the ring of the shot still in her ears.

Her grandmother ran to them. "Get out of here!" she ordered, already reloading.

Tristan grabbed her arm, giving Cecilie no time to think. They ran through the house and escaped out the back door where two wolves waited. They were identical in size and shape, the only difference coming from their coats. They had spots of different colored fur all over, mostly black patches. These were the twins, Cecilie told herself.

Tristan sighed, running a hand through his dirty blond hair. "Honestly. Do they never give up?"

The wolves came from either side, caging them in. Tristan pulled Cecilie close behind him. "It'll be fine, alright?" He glanced back at her. "You're okay."

The first wolf jump and Tristan held out his arm protectively. Cecilie was about ready to pull him out of the way when Tristan swung his arm like a baseball bat and knocked the wolf about five feet away.

The next wolf lunged. Tristan shoved Cecilie to the side and bent over, throwing the wolf over his back and to the ground with a deafening thud.

Cecilie gasped as Tristan continued to fight the wolves with his bare hands. Finally, they both fell to the ground, panting heavily.

"I guess that's over," Tristan said, grabbing Cecilie's hand and running into a sprint. They continued jogging in the forest silently until Cecilie asked, "Tristan...are you a werewolf?"

Over the sound of their footsteps, Tristan laughed. "Of course not." He shook his head like it was a ridiculous thought. "I'm a vampire."

She almost didn't hear him but his voice was surprisingly clear in the woods. In the distance, she could still make out the howling of wolves. Cecilie stopped dead in her tracks. 

"That's impossible..." she whispered.

"Why?" Tristan demanded, turning to her. His usually playful expression was replaced by something serious. "Those guys were werewolves, right? Why can't vampires exist?"

"I grew up with you, Tristan." She challenged his fierce gray eyes. "You've aged."

He leaned towards her, grinning. "Are you believing in more myths?"

"But...But you bleed!" Cecilie exclaimed.

"So what? Is there some rule stating vampires can't bleed?"

Cecilie took a deep breath. Her past was a lot more mystical than she remembered.

Confused, she remained still, wrestling with her feelings. She'd always felt comfortable around Tristan. He was the only friend she ever had; the only boy brave or stupid enough to break through her cold demeanor. Before Tristan, Cecilie had been a nightmare.

Staring into his eyes, she felt something change between them. She wasn't sure whether this was good or bad.

Casually, Tristan leaned against a tree, crossing his arms. "I've wanted to suck your blood for so long," he sighed, "but we can't take blood from those who are not willing." His eyes met hers. "It's much more fun to seduce your prey, don't you agree?"

Her fingers tingled, numb. "You used me." Her jaw clamped down, forcing her teeth to clench until it ached.

"Of course not." Tristan scoffed. "You think I'd go to all that trouble for a decent meal? I wanted you to willingly agree to be mine." He tilted his head to one side, smirking. "But it seems that someone else is competing to claim you."

Cecilie blinked. Her stomach began to pull flips until it grew uncomfortable. Resisting the urge to double over in pain, she sucked in air and held her hips.

She expected to feel horrible for leaving Asher, but not this. "We have to go back."

"Whoa, hold it." Tristan caught her shoulder as she turned. "If you didn't notice, those wolves wanted to kill you."

"One of those wolves was Asher," she snapped.

"And? You said so yourself you barely know the guy." Tristan bent down so they were eye level. "You don't have to accept him. It's your life. You can do whatever you want with it."

Ever since she got to this crummy town that's all Cecilie wanted to hear-that she was in control. No more phone calls announcing dead family members. No more being someone's mate or a part of some ancient hunters group. She just wanted to be Cecilie.

"I need to know he's okay." She looked at Tristan, suddenly unsure. "Are you coming?"

He smiled devilishly. "I'd never miss a chance to play with a dog."

Looks like Asher has a bit of competition =O Are you Team Tristan or Team Asher?