JONATHAN

There she was again, the girl from the coffee shop. I tried to keep myself busy to fight the urge to go and talk to her. I don't want to look like a creep. I know some people get the wrong impression when they're approached by someone like me. I guess it's the price I have to pay.

I don't even know why I feel so drawn to her, she probably has a boyfriend and a whole life very far away from here. Plus, I can't, not after what happened, not after what I've been through. So, I shake that thought and go back to my task of arranging seats for the kids in need from the neighboring cities that will be visiting us for the fundraiser. They're what's kept me going all this time, what made me come back after all.

It takes a little effort but I manage not to run into her before the event starts. I keep myself busy organizing everything and taking the kids to their seats once they've arrived.

I can't keep myself from looking to where she's seating every once in a while though. She's like a magnet for my eyes, I just cannot avoid it. She's there with her friend.

She's wearing a yellow sundress that matches her amber skin perfectly. She's a summer dream.

Tom who's been following my sight line for a while asks: "You feel ready to date again?"

I sigh.

"I might, at some point. But I don't know if I'll ever feel ready to love again".

One of the little kids at the table next to ours gets me out of my reverie by asking: "are you a dad?

"Not yet buddy"

"You would be a good dad, you're fun and kind".

I just smile.