What Am I?

When Izuku was 4 years old he was told he was quirkless and his life changed forever. The childlike way he saw the world was irreparably destroyed. Suddenly he was forced into a world where he had to grow up fast to survive. Neglected by his parents to the point where he sometimes questioned if they even remembered him, he had to learn how to take care of himself. He was bullied daily by his twin sister Izumi and her two friends, the Bakugou twins. From that, he learned how to bandage his own wounds. He quickly had to get rid of his fear of the dark, sometimes he ran and hid from Izumi and her gang long enough that the sun went down. He can't count the number of times he's avoided drug dealers, gang bangers, and murderers in the pitch-black dark. All of this just so he could get back to his room, not home, that place has never been a home. Through all this Izuku stayed kind, he still wanted to be a hero after all. That kindness is what inevitably got him killed... but it's also what brought him back better than before. 

Today was the worst day of Izuku's life. It started out like a normal Wednesday but things quickly went downhill. While Izuku was at school his quirkist teacher revealed to the whole class he wanted to go to UA. Izumi and the Bakugou twins shut that idea down immediately and explosively, but of course, they couldn't just leave it at that. They had to get the last say so at the end of class Izumi and her friends waited to get one final jab in. "Why don't you take a swan dive off the roof and pray for a quirk in your next life," spoken by none other than his twin sister. 

Izuku just stood there as they laughed before leaving. They didn't stay long enough to see the tears start to fall from his eyes. Did Izumi just suicide-bait him!? T-that can't be right, Izuku tried to rationalize. Maybe she was just joking? Yeah, she must be... Right? 

Izuku had been depressed for a long time and he could tell a depressive spiral coming from a mile away. He'd gone through enough to know what they felt like when they were beginning. Deciding to stop before he ended up staying there all night, something he did before, and grabbed his bag before leaving. He momentarily stopped by the fish pond to retrieve his notebook. The only part of the label that could be recognized was the last bit of the tile "#13" which was barely legible on the wet and singed cover. It had been stolen by Katsuki after classes had ended. He promptly exploded it after he read the original title, Hero Analysis for the Future #13

Izuku sighed before putting the notebook away. He bought this notebook, and all the others he used for his hero analysis, himself. He'd used money he'd gotten by working for a local gang as a runner. That's what they call the people who deliver things to drop-off locations for them so if it goes south they won't get in trouble. It's one of the few times Izuku's glad he's so unremarkable. Most people just overlook him, including the police, and with all the times he's hidden from Izumi and her friends he's gotten good at hiding too.

As Izuku walked home he looked through the notebook to see if it or its contents were salvageable. So deep in his own thoughts he was, he didn't even notice the looming danger right in front of him. Before he knew it he was caught in the confines of a villain made of sludge. Izuku cursed himself and his stupidity, damn it! He should be better than this! He's escaped from entire groups of people with CARS before! How did he get caught this easily!? 

"Sorry kid, I need your body! I didn't know that freak was in town!" the sludge villain told him as Izuku clawed at his liquid form, trying desperately to get any oxygen. "You're my hero," the sludge villain told him, laughing as he did. I DON'T WANT TO BE YOUR HERO, Izuku wanted to yell but didn't have the air in his lungs to make such an exclamation. 

Just as Izuku was about to give up hope he heard what sounded like a miracle for him. "I AM HERE!" IT WAS ALL MIGHT, HE'D SAVE HIM, Izuku thought, and save him he did. He moved his arms swiftly, once to grab Izuku, and once to punch the villain, splattering his liquid form along the walls of the alley.