Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"Que tal você chegar aqui e mudar?" I mutter without thinking.

"What was that?" West asks, looking down on me from where he stands above us, acting like he's the king of the field.

I roll my eyes. "I said 'Que tal você chegar aqui e mudar?'." I reply to him, raising a challenging eyebrow.

"Are you going to take anything seriously?" West asks me. "Or do you think you're better than everyone else because you have a famous uncle?"

"Maybe not everyone, but definitely you." I say. "And I take plenty of things seriously. Ask anyone." I say.

"Fine. Who should I ask, because everyone here obviously doesn't think so. They all think you are good at soccer, but don't take it seriously enough." West says, his blue eyes staring at me.

"Who's your favorite footballer?" I ask in a challenging tone.

West rolls his eyes. "Why? That's not the point of this." He says.

"Just tell me."

"Marco Reus I guess." He answers. "I like the whole Dortmund Borussia team as whole."

Marco Reus? I saw him more as a Premier League fan, but I can do Marco Reus.

Without asking for permission, I come down from my plank and make a break for my duffel bag. I grab my phone and run back to the guys.

Ignoring West, I pull up FaceTime and look through my contacts.

I click on 'Rice' and listen to FaceTime contact. I call him 'Rice' because it's sounds like 'Reus'. If you're drunk.

It rings and I stand next to West. His tall, muscular figure towers over me.

"Hallo!" Reus says answering the call.

I watch as West looks gobsmacked into the camera.

"Rice!" I say. "Hey bro, how are you?"

Marco smiles at me. He runs a hand through his hair. "I'm great, kleine fußballer!"

I laugh. "I have your biggest fan here." I say, motioning to West. "His name is Zach West."

"Ah, is he your liebhaber?" Marco asks, a cheeky grin on his face.

"No!" I say. He is not my lover! "Marco," I warn.

Marco ignores me. "Hallo Zach."

"Uh, hello Marco Reus." It's nice to see him uncomfortable for once. No longer Smirky McSmirkenson now huh? That's right West. I'll fight you with my footballing connections. Face my wrath.

Marco waves. "You can call me Marco if you'd like." He says. I love German accents when they speak English. They always sound pretty funny.

"Hey Marco," I say. "My friend Mary wants to know if you'd be willing to go to Prom with her?"

Marco laughs. "American Prom." He says. "I'll think about it. Don't take that as a no though." He says.

I laugh. "Cool. It could double date if you want to bring Erik along."

"If you can convince Erik, I'm all for it." Marco says. "We're only a few years older." He jokes.

I laugh with him while Zach stands timidly next to me. By now the forwards and midfielders have crowded around to see if we were actually talking to Marco Reus.

"Hey Rice, these guys are on my team." I say motioning to them. "I assume they're fans."

"Haha nah." Wesley says. Then he blushes profusely, realizing he was speaking to Marco Reus. "Uh, Mia San Mia?"