She guided it into a cup, another object she had thankfully remembered to stuff into her messy bag. Koa's ears twitched when she plunged the flowers deep into the liquid.

It smells too sweet.

Aurnia bit back a smile. When her mother had first given her the knapweed tea, she had said the exact same thing. "I know, but I am about to show you something and this will help you control your powers."

My powers?

Koa trilled and hopped around the tiny space before coming to a stop before her and flexing his toes. I can make footprints already.

"I saw."

She slowly pushed the cup across the ground until it was level with Koa's chest then motioned for him to drink it. He leaned in for a sniff, wrinkled his nose and then slowly curled his tail around its wooden surface. Gingerly, he dipped his tongue into the steaming liquid and winced.

I think my teeth are crying.

"Crying?"

Yes, the bitterness makes my mouth hurt.

Koa jumped two steps backwards, almost knocking the cup to the ground. Aurnia's hand lashed out to catch it and once she held it safely in the air, she stopped and glanced at the tea. The dim light had given the amber liquid a dull silver sheen making it look as unappetising as it tasted. But Koa's small sip had already stabilised his pulsing blue magic into a steady cyan glow, lacing his body with elegant swirls that resembled those on her elder sister's arm. Her mother would have called it the work of a child. But Aurnia saw no reason to hide the signs of raw magic melding with one's body.

But the swirls were quickly fading and it was clear that Koa needed more than a brief sip to ensure that his newfound abilities would fall smoothly into the natural rhythm of his body and spirit. Aurnia peered at the cup in her hands and took a deep breath, steeling her nerves and promising herself that this was for Koa's own good. She pushed aside echoes of her mother's disappointments and took a drink. The sharp tang coated her mouth, numbing her teeth and filling her nose with the acrid scent of boiled radish. It took all her willpower not to gag and she turned to Koa with a large smile on her face.

"If you take a large enough mouthful, the bitterness isn't as jolting." She held it out before him.

Koa whined and circled the edges of their hideout, his scales flaring a familiar icy blue and Aurnia smiled. Good, it seemed that his powers had started to react with his emotions. With some training, he would be able to channel them as an alternate source of strength.

Do I really have to drink this?

Aurnia nodded and Koa gulped it down without another word. When he was finished, he shook his body with a little growl. She gave him a quick once over before nodding and setting her bag firmly behind her as a cushion of sorts. Within her mind's eye, she could easily make out the delicate layer of ice that now settled firmly over the threads of his soul, and in the faint light of the world beyond, they resembled the fine lace that her mother used to make.

She leaned back, slowly considering the spells she could teach. Koa's agility might work in his favour, but a strong blow to the side would send him flying. Aurnia crossed her legs, leaned forwards and traced a large circle around the edges of the enclosure. Then she funnelled her energies into the divot, slowly calibrating it until the circle was a touch cooler than the frost that now seeped from between Koa's toes. He saw her looking, glanced down and frantically waved his front legs in the air.

The tea made my toes go cold!

Aurnia giggled. "I know. Now that I've let your abilities freely meld with your soul, your toes are going to be cold for a little while and–"