The Tyrant Queen

The last two days went by quicker than Atsumu had expected, and now he was standing at the main gates of the kingdom, fully armored and ready to go.

He was waiting for Koutarou, who was quickly talking to Tetsurou before they left.

It was early evening and the sun was beginning to set, casting an orange glow across the land.

Atsumu was wearing a long black cloak that hung down to his feet with a hood that hung low over his eyes.

He took a shaky breath as he wrapped a hand around one of his swords, he didn't know why, maybe it was for the reassurance that if anything went wrong he had his katanas to keep him safe.

It had been three full years since he'd been in Demoria, three full years since his life went off the rails and he lost everything he loved.

Atsumu's grip unconsciously tightened around the hilt of his sword.

After three years, he was going back to Demoria, willingly.

Atsumu turned his attention to his horse who was quiet as ever behind him.

He stroked his hand down the horse's midnight black mane, before he pressed his forehead against the side of the mare's face.

"Atsumu, are you ready to go?" Koutarou asked, snapping Atsumu out of his thoughts.

Atsumu nodded and was about to mount his horse when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

He turned around in time for Tetsurou to pull him into a hug, "Be careful, okay? I promised mom and dad I'd take care of you," he said.

Atsumu nodded, "I will," he replied.

Tetsurou smiled weakly and ruffled his hair, "And make sure you keep your ears and tails hidden," he said.

Atsumu managed a small smile as he pulled away from Tetsurou, "Yes, I will," he replied right before he climbed up onto his horse.

With a small wave to Tetsurou, Koutarou and Atsumu were off, racing down the dirt road to the kingdom of Demoria.

Atsumu was gripping the reigns so tightly he thought might accidentally cut it with his claws.

It was a long trip, and by the time they were riding towards the gates of Demoria, the moon was high in the sky, it's silvery glimmer ominously lighting up the road ahead.

They rode through the kingdom's main gates and towards the inner wall.

The kingdom of Demoria was lively as ever for the city of demons was a nocturnal one.

Everywhere Atsumu looked, vampires, demons, gargoyles, gorgons, the citizens of Demoria roamed the streets, talking and laughing.

Atsumu felt a sharp pain in his chest when he realized that there were exactly no yokai on the streets.

What was he expecting, honestly? For the kingdom to still have yokai housed within its walls? There weren't many who survived the yokai eradication to begin with, only a couple hundred at most, and all of them were now residents of Isaron.

Atsumu shoved those thoughts aside, the last thing he needed was to lose control of his emotions, not when he was to attend a meeting hosted by the one who ordered the attack on his kind.

They rode through the castle gates and into the courtyard where Queen Sakusa and her son, Prince Kiyoomi of Demoria were waiting.

Atsumu stayed atop his horse, his hood still pulled low, as Koutarou dismounted his steed and stood before the queen.