[ XVIII ] BIRTHDAY GIFT

Start from the beginning

I scoffed, "I don't think so. He likes me, yes. But I don't think she sees me as a woman."

I saw how his jaw clenched. He drew his face closer which made my swallow hard, "How about you? Do you like him? You told me before you prefer to marry him than me."

"H-he's... I... no..." What the hell is wrong with me?!

He drew his face closer even more, "Hmm?"

"I don't like him... but for some reasons... I feel comfortable with him. You know what I mean?"

Sunghoon stared at my face for a while before properly standing up. He laughed and shook his head, "How is that possible? You just met him, Ari."

Right? The first time I saw Alas, I felt something strange within me. I felt like... I've known him for a long time already.

"Ride the horse with me." He snapped his fingers right in front of my face, "I'll consider it as your birthday gift."

"My what?!" My eyes widened. "Whose birthday?!"

"Mine." He winked and effortlessly climbed the horse. He offered his hand to me, "Shall we?"

I received his hand despite the confusion. I was sitting in front of him while he's behind me. He started controlling the horse's reins and I could already feel it moving.

"I didn't know it's your birthday today... I could have prepared a proper gift..." I embarrassingly said. I am his wife, yet I can't even remember his birthday?

"It's okay. The king's birthday is tomorrow. We usually celebrate our birthdays together. Surely, there will be a grand ball."

"Still..." I muttered under my breath. Lilly started galloping fast, along with my heart. I feel like my chest will burst anytime soon.

"Sunghoon... can you slow down?" The fuck is wrong with him? Is he planning to kill me?

"That's why you feel nervous because you kept on looking down. Enjoy the view. This is the reason why I am taking you for a ride."

I pursed my lips and started wandering my eyes around. I slowly felt a sense of relief. Just like what he said, I enjoyed the view. The golden ray of the sun and the green lands. It was as if a therapy... and a memory.

"I remember something..." I whispered. I was just feeling great earlier, yet my heart began to ache again.

"Remember what?" I could feel his chest vibrating against my back whenever he speaks.

"My brother..." My voice broke, "I remember my brother. We used to play like this..."

He stiffened behind me. He inhaled harshly as if I just said something very surprising, "You have a brother?"

I nodded and smiled sadly, "He suddenly got missing at the age of 10. The worst thing is that..."

I can't even remember his face.