31.

Anaya.

By morning, Tim and I had already come up with a plan. We had decided we would return to the Royal Pack. As much I didn't want to, he wanted to see our mum too and I understood that.

We decided we would figure out what we would do after that later.

I went back to Alex's house when it was bright enough, to freshen up before leaving.
Selene was in the living room when I walked in.

"Well if it isn't our little princess," she sneered.

I frowned, how did she know about that?

I ignored her and headed upstairs.

"Feeling too good to reply a commoner like me?"

I was relieved when I made it to my room and shut the door, cutting out her voice.
I stripped and got into the shower, anxious to get going. When I was done, I picked out a pair of jeans and a top.

They would be the only clothes I'd be taking from the clothes Alex had gotten me and I owned nothing else.

Talk about travelling light.

And that reminded me about the man himself.

Alex's room next door had been empty when I passed by but thinking about it, in all the time I'd spent here, I'd never seen him actually use the room. So he would be in his study.

"Come in," came his gruff voice after I knocked on the closed door.

He was behind his desk, he didn't lift his head as I came in.

"We're leaving now. Thank you for your hospitality."

I added the last part because in truth, he had actually treated me well, housing a rogue and all.

He still didn't look up or say a word so I walked out and shut the door behind me.
Selene was still in the living room and I ignored her again as I left.

"Byee!" She trilled after me.

I went to the back to the clinic to get Tim. He was already waiting outside for me. He looked good as new except that his clothes were practically rags.

He insisted that he didn't care, though.
We were travelling in wolf form but we had decided to shift only when we had left the pack.

As we passed by Alex's house, I stopped to stare at the building I had come to call home.

My heart hurt and my throat burned from holding back tears. But I needed to do this, I was done with this place. As Tim put his arm around me silently and led me away, I could have sworn I saw a familiar face watching me from one of the windows. But I feared I was just imagining things.

We shifted when we got outside the borders of the pack and I paused, looking back one last time. This was it. I was finally leaving my mate.

I realised then that we hadn't completed the rejection ritual. We needed to actually say the words in order for the bond to be severed forever.

I considered going back but I had already shifted and Tim was waiting for me.

Shrugging it off, we began our journey. The bond would fade away on it's own eventually anyway.

********

2 hours into the journey and we still weren't anywhere near our destination. The way to the Royal Pack is a lot more winding and complicated when you're travelling through the woods and not on the actual roads.

I mindlinked Tim and told he I needed a break. For one, I really needed to pee but I didn't tell him that.

He nodded and we stopped at the next big tree we saw. I went further away to empty my bladder.

On my way back, I heard some leaves rustling and some other sounds but I decided they were squirrels or some other wood life.

Tim had shifted back to his human form when I got back and was drinking out of the water bottle we had packed.

"Want some?" He asked, stretching the bottle to me.

He turned away as I shifted to human form and collected the bottle.

I took big gulps of the cool water, stopping only so that we would have more if we needed it along the journey.

I had replaced the cover and was about to shift back when a group of wolves suddenly emerged from the woods around us. There were about 15 of them.

Rogues.

I shrieked and tried to cover my exposed body.

One of the wolves, the one in front shifted to human, "You have a better chance at surviving if you just hand over everything you got."

"We don't have anything," I spat, "We're rogues."

He laughed and pointed at Tim, "Him, I could believe a rogue. Maybe. But you, pretty damsel..."

"We don't have anything." Tim repeated my words.

"Right from here, I can see a very shiny bracelet on the damsel's wrist. I must tell you, I'm harder on liars."

I cradled my wrist. The bracelet was old, it was the only piece of jewelry my father ever got for me. There was no way I was handing it over to these rogues.

Tim knew that and immediately shifted and I followed suit.

Then the fight began. I'd never been allowed to train with my dad and brother but I had made sure to watch them train every time they did.

The fight was hard but it wasn't that difficult. Although the rogues were definitely more experienced, I was younger so I was more agile.

When we had taken them all down, I looked to my left and realised Tim was injured.

Rushing to his side, I inspected his bleeding leg. I sighed in relief when I realised the injury wasn't that bad. He was too weak to move right now but he would be fine in about an hour.. I got his shirt and wrapped it around the wound to stop the bleeding.

The shine of my bracelet caught the light and I looked at it. I had never taken it off since my father gave me but I decided it was wise to do so now.

I wondered about the guy who had wanted it. I didn't remember fighting him. I shrugged, maybe Tim did.

I was trying to undo the clasp of the bracelet when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a rush of blackness hurtling towards me.

I was knocked down and pinned down by a big brown wolf. Looking at his eyes, I recognised him as the man who had wanted the bracelet.

His eyes glinted as he leaned down and bit my neck, ripping a big chunk out. Pain exploded all over my body and I instinctively raised my hands to my neck.

He shifted and he pulled the hand with the bracelet on it away from my neck and removed the bracelet.

"You didn't have to die, but you killed my friends, what was I supposed to do?"

Tim had gotten enough energy to attempt an attack on the man but he still wasn't strong enough and the man flung him away easily, hitting his head hard on the ground.

Then, without saying anything, he disappeared into the woods.

My neck was pouring out gallons of blood and my vision was already going black.

I tried to look at Tim but he seemed to have passed out from the impact of his head hitting the ground.

As my vision complete went dark and I felt the energy seeping out of my body, there was only one word on my mind.

Help.

But there was nobody to.