Everything had come full circle.

You fought with a man that you couldn't stand constantly, took a job that would inevitably make you deal with him and his hard head at least once a day, had your heart broken, and fell in love. Falling for someone nicknamed The Boston Brute certainly wasn't where you saw your life going, but you couldn't imagine it unfolding any other way.

"Are you... sure?" She asked, twirling one of the tight curls that framed her face around her finger nervously. "I mean, I don't want you to think I can't do the job, I totally can. I just– Are you sure?"

You laughed, nodding. "I'm 100% sure, Kala. I know you have been shadowing me for the past month with the promise of the assistant position, but I think I'm ready to be done. We've been thinking about moving anyway and this team just doesn't feel the same as it used to. Everyone that made me miss it is gone, my best friend lives in a different state, and I'm having another baby. It's just right."

Sitting up a little, you pushed the printed-out offer letter on your desk towards her a little more. "The job is yours if you want it, hun. I know you'll take care of this team."

"When is your last day?"

"Probably a week from today if you take the job. I'll stick around long enough to help you with the first week of home games and since I can't fly, the rest is up to you." You smiled again, a nostalgic feeling sweeping through your body as you remembered having this conversation with Marnie.

Kala leaned forward, her dark brown eyes scanning the offer letter again. She beamed, looking up at you with a contagious grin. "Yeah, I'll take it!"

This was it.

Your years working for the Boston Bruins were over. The torch has officially been passed and the confirmation that she was going to take the job made you itch to go home to Chris and your little guy.

You grinned, grabbing a pen and handing it over to her. "Congratulations, Kala. Welcome to the team."

After all of the clerical technicalities, Kala left your office with a grin on her face, thanking you profusely for the opportunity. It was a no-brainer.

She graduated top of her class, everyone loved her at the PT facility, she even got along with the players. She was smart and caring but took no shit from anyone. She was perfect for the job, just as you had been.

You stood from your desk, straightening out a few things before gathering your keys and purse and heading out of your office.

Every night your routine was the same.

Chris picked Henry up from daycare and came to the rink to walk you to your car.

Even after all of these years, he wouldn't let you walk to the car alone.

You shut the office door, turning an immediately being welcomed by your waddling 18 month old.

"Mama!" Henry yelled out, picking up speed and opening his arms as wide as they could go.

You laughed, your waddle matching his as you reached for him and scooped him up in your arms. "Hi, baby!" You squealed, nuzzling into his neck and blowing raspberries.

Henry's giggle filled the air, his hands pushing against your cheeks to get you to stop.

Chris stood off to the side, his hands shoved into pockets. He smiled, a few wrinkles fanning out around his eyes, the greys in his hair starting to poke through ever so slightly.

This man was like fine wine, truly getting better with age and at 46, he looked better than ever.

You approached your husband with your son on your hip. "Hey, baby."

Chris smiled down at you. "How's my princess?"

"Good, a little swollen today actually—"

"I was talking about this one," he teased, leaning down to kiss your belly. You rolled your eyes at him as he stood back up. "Kidding, how are you, princess?"

"I'm fine. How was work?" You laughed, the two of you falling into step beside each other as you exited the building.

He rambled for a few minutes about the commentator job he'd taken before cutting himself off and looking over at you. "Oh, what did Kala say?"

You smiled and nodded. "She took it. My last day is next Friday."

"That's amazing!" His arm slung around your shoulder, pulling you and your son into his body. "How do you feel?"

You shrugged, poking your finger into Henry's side to make him laugh. "Good. I mean, almost nostalgic? Like if i wouldn't have taken this job all those years ago, i wouldn't have this amazing life now."

The two of you approached your car and Chris shrugged. "I don't know. That's the funny thing about soulmates. We would've made our way to each other. In this life or the next."

Your smile grew as Henry snuggled into you and Chris's arm secured around your waist, only being held apart by your belly. "Well, I for one am happy that it was this lifetime. I love you, Mr. Evans."

Chris smiled, kissing your forehead and then Henry's. "You have no idea." Your mind wrapped around the meaning behind Chris's words, knowing how anxious he was to give you and your children a life that he hadn't had. "I love you, Mrs. Evans."