[SNEAK PEEK #3] Chapter Three (second draft/revised): Orientation

Start from the beginning

Julian Fluor

Kyler leans over, staring down at the letter. “You’re part of the selection?”

I swallow the lump that has formed in my throat and nod.

“Wow,” he breathes. “I’m sorry…”

The bell rings, signaling the end of lunch period. I shove the letter into my bag and push away from the table. Before I start to walk away, Kyler touches my hand.

“I can ride to the city with you,” he offers, his dark eyes sparkling with hope.

Thanks, but no thanks, I think, and then say out loud, “I don’t need a shadow.”

He releases me, letting his hand drop onto his lap with a thud. I can’t help but think he looks like a wounded animal stripped of its owner. I hate that I have this effect on him when I’ve done nothing but try to push him away. It is what’s best for me – mostly for him. I’m not good company.

I leave the cafeteria and finish the rest of the school day. There is no big graduation afterward to celebrate our success of officially completing one era of our life and beginning into our adulthood. I walk into the gymnasium and approach a long table with people sitting on the other side. I move forward in the line for last names G-P.

“Name,” the woman asks holding a stack of files.

“Irissa Mckenna,” I answer, watching her dig through the pile. She pulls out a thick piece of paper with fancy writing.

“Congratulations,” she says, handing me my diploma.

I turn and walk away, not feeling one ounce of satisfaction.

                                                ~*~

Well, I’m here. Stepping off the bus, I see right before my eyes the opera house in all its brick and glory. Up top on the stairs, I watch two men in gray suits having a conversation. It looks heated when one of them clutches on the lapels of the other man’s jacket, yanking him forward.

“Hello?” a female voice calls out.

I turn away from the confrontation, and notice a girl with short blonde hair staring in my direction. “Me?” I answer back.

“I was wondering if you’re going to the orientation?” she asks, stepping closer.

I sigh, and pull the scarf down from my mouth. “That’s why I’m standing on these steps, and it’s not because of my undying love for opera.” When I glance back at the two men, I see them disappear inside the building. I turn back to the prying girl, narrowing my eyes.

She looks taken back, but then it fades away with a smile. “Great! Could we go in together? I’m a little nervous to be honest.”

“Um…” I hesitate, not wanting to spark up a friendship.

You don’t do friendships, remember?

“Thanks,” she says, inviting herself along. “By the way, I’m Bianca.” Her hand extends towards me.

Slowly pushing my hand toward her, we shake hands. “Irissa,” I mumble.

She turns her head, cupping her ear. “What did you say?”

“Ehhhh-risssss-ahhhhhh,” I sound out my name.

“That’s such a cool name,” Bianca exclaims.

Great, this girl is the clingy type.

My face feels warm from her chirpiness. I look away from her and point at the entrance doors. “We’re late,” I say with satisfaction. “I’m planning on getting kicked out. Want to join me?” I’m just hoping she gets cold feet, and decides to go inside alone.