Chapter 3

"What?! It was here a second ago" Mia said as she tried feeling the air.

"How hard did you hit your head that you're looking for something in the air?", asked her mum really confused.

Mia knew that her mum thought she was making it up.

"You've got to believe me. There was something around me just now. It was like a thin layer of glass but was much harder, it had this transparent rainbow feather pattern and it kindof caged me."
Her mum gave her the 'have you lost it' look.

"Ok, listening to myself right now, it sounds kind of ridiculous but I'm telling the truth. That-", she said as she pointed to the cat, "-that thing over there saw everything. It all started when it attacked me."

"You mean the cat?" her mum asked as she reached in to hold it.

"DON'T TOUCH IT!" Mia shouted, "It was in my room when the lights went off, moving around like a ghost... Wait a minute, –it must have been the cat that put me in that glass barrier thingy!" Mia gasped.

"Yeah, you definitely hit your head too hard" the mum said while folding her arms.

She then picked up the cat and started petting it.

"Princess here would never hurt a fly, talkless of putting you in a magical barrier."

"Don't name it! It's suspicious. It came out of nowhere", said Mia narrowing her eyes.

Her mum heaved a sigh.
"Mia I don't have time for this right now. I bought Princess from the pet store yesterday. I wanted to give her to you because you felt so down from moving. You always said you wanted a pet didn't you. I was going to give her to you after your first day at school but Princess here had other plans", she said looking at Princess.

"Mew" meowed Princess looking all innocent.

"Anyway, the surprise is ruined and she's creeping you out. I'll just hold onto her for the meantime then", said her mum disappointed.

Mia felt bad. "Umm- maybe it was all in my head, it was really dark and confusing at that moment. As for the cat, thanks but it'll still take some time to get used to it"

"Oh and sorry about the lights", apologized her mum.

"How many times do I have to tell you mum. CALL AN ELECTRICIAN. Stop trying to fix the power. You'll only end up damaging it", warned Mia.

"Nonsense! Why would I waste my hard earned money on something I can learn on YouTube. Besides I'm sure I fixed it this time so there's nothing to worry about", said her mum really proud of herself, "Anyway, come down and eat your breakfast. You don't want to be late."

Mia quickly remembered that she still had to go to school.
She grabbed her bag and raced downstairs.

"Hmph, what would I do with this daughter of mine", her mum snickered.

A few minutes later at about 7:20am.

"Mum, I'm heading out", said Mia.
"Oh... Don't be nervous, just be yourself, ok."

"Yeah, yeah I got it, BYE!"
Immediately Mia closed the door, the lights went off.

Her mum sighed. "Maybe I actually need to call an electrician."

Mia made it to school, barely on time and stood in front of the entrance door. "7:50...
Okay, I'm still on time."

Just before she reached for the handle, she paused. "Get it together, Mia. New school, same me", she said as she opened the doors.

The hallway was booming with students, so much that one might feel claustrophobic.

"Okay, don't draw too much attention to yourself. This is your first day. Just casually walk to class and settle in", thought Mia as she walked down the hallway a bit before coming to a halt.

"Wait a minute-", she panicked, "-which way was my class again?"