Train ride

Omori had taken them to water Basil’s plants before entering the forest with all of those spiders.

Just thinking about them made shivers go up Hero’s spine as the others finished brushing the dirt off their pants. He really didn’t want to go but unfortunately for him the universe loves his torture and doesn’t seem in the mood to give him a break.

Well, that was what he thought until Omori did the unexpected and made a left turn instead of continuing forward.

“Huh? Omori, the forest isn’t that way!...or is it? I forgot the layout already….” Kel muttered the last part to himself.

“He’s going the wrong way.” Aubrey deadpanned as Omori continued leading.

“Stalling, eh?...not like I have any objections.” Hero chuckled.

“Really guys...ugh….” Aubrey rolled her eyes in disappointment.

“Well, this is just a dream. Isn’t like there are going to be any consequences for taking our time. Heck, for all we know, Basil is somewhere that way chilling and wondering when we’re gonna find him!” Kel grinned.

“...Fair point,” Aubrey sighed, “Still, I don’t think this would be worth our time- KEL LET GO OF ME!” Aubrey yelled as Kel picked her up and began running ahead. Having weird and unusual strength in this world came with perks Hero supposed.

It wasn’t until Omori led them to a train station that Hero connected to what Omori was planning. He completely forgot about the train pass that was handed to them by Captain Spaceboy. It was weird to think his dreams were this good at continuity.

In fact, he never imagined himself as an imaginative kind of guy, so his subconscious seemed to surprise even him. How weird everything was turning out to be, huh?

There was barely a line so they simply walked past and to the train conductor who seemed to be tired from probably dealing with everyone. Hero doesn’t blame him, as he was forced to work in retail for quite a bit. Ugh, that was the worst. He swears the world loves seeing him suffer in silence.

Well, at least the universe is planning to give him this mini-break so he doesn’t need to deal with the spiders immediately, so that was nice.

~~~~~~

HE TAKES IT BACK HE TAKES IT BACK HE TAKES IT BACK-

The moment he got on the train his body filled with fear as the cold air wrapped around his throat as if it was choking him. He could tell the others felt the same as shadowy people with newspapers in their hands stared at them.

They slowly began making their way through the train as the shadows watched in interest as Hero felt the fear grasp his heart. Every inch of him wanted to leave the train as fast as possible.

“H̸͉͘é̸͈r̸̘̆͌ë̵̖̞̈́ ̴̤̊i̸̲̍̔s̸͉͈͛͘ ̷͙̥̃n̴͕̟͌ȍ̸͔̹t̵͈͕͒͝ ̷͚̩̓w̷̪͗͑h̶̟̊̊e̶͈̯̕ṟ̸̿̕͜e̶̯̐ ̵̧͓͊h̸͔̗͠ô̶̥m̸͎͖̐̽ë̵̺́̓ ̴̣̯i̸̬̾̒s̶͓̒”

“Ẉ̵̭̇h̷̭̆͜e̵̔͐ͅṙ̴̡ĕ̸̠͚ ̷͚̺̅̈́i̴͕̹͆̽ş̴̟̈́̐ ̷̲͑ȟ̸̛͓ỏ̸͔̩͆ṁ̷̜͎e̴͈͗̐?̵̛̠̿”

“H̴̘̥̼̙̑͗̕ȇ̸̙̗̲̕r̴̹̃̐̓͋e̵͉̪̽͜ ̴̯̙̉̅͑̈́i̸͚̰̟̐s̸͈̐̇ ̴͖͇̾̏̄̈w̴̛̬̭̘̜̚ḧ̸̨̭̜̠͇̂͌͐e̵̩̪͘r̷̤̗̋͆̐͋e̷̠͍̺̔͜ ̶͙͛͊͗̇̉n̴̨̲͓̼̱̄ö̴̡̞̲̳͐̾̾͑ṫ̴̢̜͒͛͗͘ͅ ̴̩̮̽t̵̝͖̙̉h̷̍̇ͅe̸̢̥̭͓͊͘ ̵̧̙̭̟̈́̏̓̈́͒h̵̖͊̀͆o̶͖̱͋̓͌m̸͓̖̽͋̒̄e̵̡̛̺͕͛̃ ̵̖͖̥̾̈͑͆i̴̍̃̀̿̃ͅs̷̗̙̺͑̐.̶͓̈́͒͐̊͋”

The shadows spoke but none except Omori seemed to understand as he looked down at the ground as if in thought. Despite this, they continued moving ahead in hopes to just find a seat or anything to get off the train.

They began moving faster and faster, trying to shake off the feeling of dread’s arms wrapping around them.

One of the shadows dropped their newspaper, grabbing the group's attention.

“L̷̟͗i̸̟͖̍g̸͈̃͊h̷͍͛̆t̴̻̞̑͊s̸̞͔͝ ̵̪͐͋ǒ̸̱͜ŭ̸̡̄t̴̠̏̚.̷̯͉̽ ̴̯̲̋̌G̶̘̋o̴̬̅o̶̱̗̍d̷̖̈n̸̜̈́̐ī̸̲g̴̫͂̓h̶̠͐̾t̷̡̎͝.̸̨̐̈́”

The shadow smiled.

The world went black.

Hero felt like a million hands had grabbed the hold of him. The feeling of a million eyes on him and the feeling of being in life-threatening danger wrapped around his throat as the only sound reaching his ears was the sound of the train moving on the tracks.

“A...Aubrey?...Kel?...Omori?!” He called out.

Nobody came.

No one.

He was alone.

“Don’t be afraid. It’s not as scary as you think. Calm down.”

The voice was familiar to Hero. Who it belonged to was at the tip of his tongue. Though his brain just couldn’t focus. He needed to calm down.

He took in a deep breath and clenched his eyes shut. He felt someone's hand brush against him and he quickly opened them, jumping back a bit.

Omori was staring at him with a tiny bit of...something in his eye. Hero couldn’t tell what. Kel and Aubrey were right next to him, both with their eyes shut and trying to focus on their breathing.

The room was dark and the shadow people were no longer present. Hero lightly put his hands on both Aubrey and Kel, snapping them out of their daze.

They all looked at each other with one thing clearly on their mind.

Getting out of the train.

They continued moving forward, their anxiety spiking through the roof as Hero saw a dark shadow ahead.

Cautiously they took a few steps forward and met with immediate regret.

A creature that looked a lot like a deer stepped towards them with its one eye staring them down. It reminded Hero of the one-eyed creature they were chased down by like in the last dream he had.

It took a few more steps before letting out a cry that made Hero’s body freeze.

He needed to move, why can’t he move!? WHY CAN’T HE MOVE, HE NEEDS TO MOVE NOW-

His body decided to start working again right as the beast charged at them.

Hero knew they weren’t going to have a good time dealing with this monster.

Only one thing to do then...RUN LIKE HELL!